Sign in to follow this  

Use 88 or 90 CR250 engine?

Hi,

I own two CR250's, which both should be restored.However the engines run pretty fine.

Because I can only afford to restore 1 and like the pre 90 evo's more, I'll choose the 88 and sell the 90 while keeping both engines.

So how do these engines compare?

And to what extent are parts interchangeable?

The 90 runs good, but has a stiff clutch whatever I try and often sings during iddling (may be a choke air leak).

The 88 is't finetuned as good, but has a better clutch feeling and I don't know more of it as I recently purchased it. Only rode it once for 10 minutes. The water pump case has been renewed by the way!

Furthermore I don't have much experience with 250cc, had a 93 CR125 before.

Thanks!

Hi,

I own two CR250's, which both should be restored.However the engines run pretty fine.

Because I can only afford to restore 1 and like the pre 90 evo's more, I'll choose the 88 and sell the 90 while keeping both engines.

So how do these engines compare?

And to what extent are parts interchangeable?

The 90 runs good, but has a stiff clutch whatever I try and often sings during iddling (may be a choke air leak).

The 88 is't finetuned as good, but has a better clutch feeling and I don't know more of it as I recently purchased it. Only rode it once for 10 minutes. The water pump case has been renewed by the way!

Furthermore I don't have much experience with 250cc, had a 93 CR125 before.

Thanks!

Pretty much the same engines. Tuning and maintenance is the key to either. Clutches are the same also, one may have stiffer springs someone put in.

• Like 1