Sign in to follow this  

Help with knocking noise please cr250

Hi all im new to this forum. I have a 1993 cr250. I decided to rebuild the engine as I bought it not realising it had no third gear (bike was in a sorry state)

I got a new gearbox (used but in good condition) so i did a whole top end rebuild, done the seals and main bearings, new clutch basket as old one was grooved. Put it all back together, all running, selects all gears up and down but now i have a knocking by the output shaft and sprocket! Then nearly disappears when you pull the clutch in?

Any help or ideas if someone has had this problem before before i have to split the engine again.

I tried a different clutch basket and bearings and collar but still the same.

Cheers

After you disassemble the engine, pay attention to the shift forks. Look at the pads & in the "crotch" of the fork. If there are any wear signs on the sides of the "crotch" area or if the pads are worn, the fork(s) need replacing.

Check all the berating too. There could be a cracked inner race in a bearing. The bearing by the countershaft sprocket takes the most abuse. All the bearings should roll freely & smoothly.

• Like 2