Sign in to follow this  

intermittent fault

Hi

Having problems with the drz, bike runs fine until you are in 5th gear, then stutters and stops, give it a 2 minutes and it is fine again, no problem on country roads as it is fine, only has this problem in fith gear.

Any ideas

UK bikes are different than US/Canadian models.  I think your motorcycle knows what gear it's in and feeds that information the the ignition control box.  Might try disconnecting the gear indicator wires rom the Control box.  Above reply is also worth checking out.

Once it is "fine again" how long does "fine again" last?

Is the "slide control valve" still intact?

Hi

We tried it wiyh fuel cap off in fith gear and still did the same thing, i thought it must be some sort of breather issue , i will also look for wires and unplug , then give it a go.

Thank you both.

Stay tuned for conclusion!

Hi noble

The fine is fine until you put it back up to fith gear on big roads, stay on the small roads and as long as you are not in fith gear for long there is no issues and bike rides like a dream. Its just at top of fith gear, stutters and stops, give iy a couple of minutes and its fine as long as you dont give it a load in fith.

Is this a new problem? What is your history with this motorcycle?  What size main jet in the carb?  Possibly the jet is party blocked so the erratic running only occurs when subject to 5th gear high loads.  Remove the float bowl and clean it out, remove the main jet record the size, clean it re-assembe and test it out.

Is the "slide control valve" still intact?  If so, check to see if any of the hoses are damaged.

Hu all

I will try the petcock, if its not that i will restrip the carb down and check main jet. The bike was fine until 3 weeks ago, bike was in 5th gear on motorway did a stutter and now occurs every time at 5th gear.