Sign in to follow this  

motorcross?

I didn't post this earlier because I thought it was stupid at the time but then I figured I might as well ask. I have a klx250s 2012 and I was looking to get a little into motorcross. Do you guys think this bike would be ok for a beginner on the track or no? Are the shocks too soft for that sort of pounding?

Well, to be completely honest, a mx bike is a lot lighter, has a lot more power, and much better suspension. I raced mx at the pro level for close to 20 years, and I wouldn't even think about doing it on my KLX250S. You won't have a good impression, and you'll be at a Major disadvantage. The bike is close to 100 lbs heavier, with less than half the HP. Won't even get into the suspension. Not saying you can't, but I wouldn't. Your better off picking up an older used mx bike cheap. Start your cardio training now. Good luck, but most of all, just have fun. Beware, it's addictive. Don't say I didn't warn ya.....:D

Would have to agree, you will be at a pretty good disadvantage if you line up with what you have. You might think about starting out in a Hare Scramble (2 hours on a semi motocross track) as bikes tend to get strung out and your opportunity to avoid bar to bar action is better. Enduros or Cross Countrys are a lot of fun and would better suit your bike. I started out the same way you are contemplating just to have fun. You should do the same. It will not take you long to figure out where you want to be in the sport.

enduro would be a good suit for a klx250. If your budget is limited find a 125 2 stroke or 250 2 stroke (depending on experience) and get used to it, go to a track, run your own pace and have fun.