WR250f free mods (help)

Hey guys, just bought a 2012 wr250f and I'm very pleased with it. The only real issue/concern I have with it is the throttle stop. I've been looking into how to fix it (because the power at the top of the gear just fades away) and found a few helpful forums. I was wondering if I would need to do the gray wire mod in order to do the throttle stop mod, and also just how to do the throttle stop mod since I'm not very educated on hardware of dirt bikes. Really appreciate your help

Hey guys, just bought a 2012 wr250f and I'm very pleased with it. The only real issue/concern I have with it is the throttle stop. I've been looking into how to fix it (because the power at the top of the gear just fades away) and found a few helpful forums. I was wondering if I would need to do the gray wire mod in order to do the throttle stop mod, and also just how to do the throttle stop mod since I'm not very educated on hardware of dirt bikes. Really appreciate your help

the throttle stop is on the back side of the carburetor.. It just unscrews and screws in.  You can either cut it to YZ spec, or buy a YZ throttle stop from a 06-09 YZ250F for $20 or so.  

Part # 5NL-14591-00-00

This is your to do list for the bike:

Grey Wire Mod

Airbox Mod

YZF exhaust (06-09)

JD jet kit w/ extended fuel screw

YZF throttle screw

Large O-ring mod for accelerator pump (comes with JD jet kit)

AIS removal

All of this can be done for relatively cheap and will completely transform the bike.. I did this to my 11' and i couldn't believe how much better it ran.

the throttle stop is on the back side of the carburetor.. It just unscrews and screws in.  You can either cut it to YZ spec, or buy a YZ throttle stop from a 06-09 YZ250F for $20 or so.  

Part # 5NL-14591-00-00

This is your to do list for the bike:

Grey Wire Mod

Airbox Mod

YZF exhaust (06-09)

JD jet kit w/ extended fuel screw

YZF throttle screw

Large O-ring mod for accelerator pump (comes with JD jet kit)

AIS removal

All of this can be done for relatively cheap and will completely transform the bike.. I did this to my 11' and i couldn't believe how much better it ran.

All of the parts that you said 06-09 will fit/work on my 2012, correct? I'm just wondering haha, thanks for the advice on what I should do to the bike. Definitely will be doing most of, if not all, of the mods listed. 

Also, I saw on a youtube video, this guy said to take off the air filter's cover that's held down with 4 screws or whatever. Is this something I should do aswell? He said it makes the bike run so much smoother and have more power. 

Also, I saw on a youtube video, this guy said to take off the air filter's cover that's held down with 4 screws or whatever. Is this something I should do aswell? He said it makes the bike run so much smoother and have more power.

There is a snorkel / baffle on the airbox, remove that. I would do this, replace the pipe with a yzf (on eBay, or a dubach racing if you have the cash, that's what I put on my WR) and get the JD jet kit w/ the extended fuel screw. If you are going to bring more air in, your going to want to have a less restrictive pipe. And this needs to be accompanied by a jetting change. JDs kit is simple and comes with everything. I've seen yz pipes go for $100 or so. The JD kit with screw will set you back about $90. Airbox mod is of course free.

Then you will want to clip the grey wire near the Airbox / battery ( I may have a picture, I'll look) and replace the throttle screw. So all of this can be done for just over $200. It will transform the bike.

06-09 yzf is where you can interchange parts

Alright one more question. If I do all of this separately, what would be the order in which I do so? Like 1) clip gray wire 2) Throttle mod 3)etc... also, if I just do the throttle mod, would anything else need to be done in order for it to be ridden? (i dont think so but I'm not really smart on all the mechanic shit). Take into account that I don't really wanna &%$#@! anything up since I just spent 5 grand on the never ridden bike haha

Alright one more question. If I do all of this separately, what would be the order in which I do so? Like 1) clip gray wire 2) Throttle mod 3)etc... also, if I just do the throttle mod, would anything else need to be done in order for it to be ridden? (i dont think so but I'm not really smart on all the mechanic shit). Take into account that I don't really wanna &%$#@! anything up since I just spent 5 grand on the never ridden bike haha

That is a good order.  The grey wire and throttle stop are potential free mods and easy to do.. I opted for the YZ throttle stop because i wanted preciseness and didn't want to cut my original.  It was $20 bucks on rocky mountain atv.  Its part # 61 under OEM yamaha parts on the carburetor.

When you opt to do the airbox mod, do the exhaust and jet kit at the same time.. They all benefit from each other.  When you install the the jet kit, it will come with two o-rings for the accelerator pump (which is connected to the carb).. Use the thicker of the two install in the accelerator pump.. there will be a picture and instructions how to do so with the jet kit.  

Also keep in the mind, the YZ exhaust does not come with a spark arrestor, so you will need to get one if you are riding in the woods and such.  They can be had for relatively cheap.  

Here is a deal on a used DR. D full exhaust, i had this exact one on my WR.. With a little steel wool and never dull, you could get this thing looking good i bet.. These come with a spark arrestor to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Yz250F-2006-Dr-D-Complete-Exhaust-Silencer-And-Head-Pipe-4597-/181933177109?hash=item2a5c0ff915:g:A~UAAOSwFGNWSNyi&vxp=mtr

There is a bunch of 06-09 yzf exhausts on eBay to.