Sign in to follow this  

I have looked and looked and need help or suggestions or street legal DIRTBIKE. Not with the street tires

I have a built 08 crf450x.  My goal is to keep as much dirt bike as possible.  I have got most of everything sorted out as far as making it legal.  I have a few other questions that I need suggestions with.  I would only be running dot knobby tires.  I have 14/50 gearing now it pulls awesome with motor work.  

Main things I am concerned with are.

Gearing.   I would love to run 75 or so at a decent rpm.  This bike is not my mx bike i have a 2012 yz450 i ride mostly in the woods and dirt.  It does great now as far as power and was thinking with a 15t front it may be what i want.  Dont have to run 75 every day.  I probably hardly would honestly.  

Oil cooler.  Is there a DIY clean mod to install a oil cooler and not spend the 500 dollars im seeing some places asking?

Stator.  Ive pretty much narrowed it down to the Rickey Stator.  Due to price and how they talked on the phone and explained everything.  Is there a reason not to go this way?

Headlight.  I need a DOT approved dual beam headlight.  Looking at a few I seem to like the moose racing species.  I however cannot find if it meets my needs.  Also what are folks running for a brake light and switch?  Im looking to keep it barely legal no turn signals needed in VA.

Tires.  Size wise will be stock.  I am pretty much dialed in on kenda trackmaster 2.  Seem to appear to be a mostly dirt tire.  Are they decent?

Again thanks for looking and possibly helping me.  If this is posted in wrong spot please let me know where to put it or if you can and will please move.  Thanks im looking forward to figuring this out.  

I have a built 08 crf450x.  My goal is to keep as much dirt bike as possible.  I have got most of everything sorted out as far as making it legal.  I have a few other questions that I need suggestions with.  I would only be running dot knobby tires.  I have 14/50 gearing now it pulls awesome with motor work.  

Main things I am concerned with are.

Gearing.   I would love to run 75 or so at a decent rpm.  This bike is not my mx bike i have a 2012 yz450 i ride mostly in the woods and dirt.  It does great now as far as power and was thinking with a 15t front it may be what i want.  Dont have to run 75 every day.  I probably hardly would honestly.  

WWW.GEARINGCOMMANDER.COM

YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT 'DECENT' RPM MEANS FOR YOU

Oil cooler.  Is there a DIY clean mod to install a oil cooler and not spend the 500 dollars im seeing some places asking?

THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO GET A CLEAN SYSTEM

THE RUBBER HOSE SYSTEM IS ABOUT HALF THE PRICE

Stator.  Ive pretty much narrowed it down to the Rickey Stator.  Due to price and how they talked on the phone and explained everything.  Is there a reason not to go this way?

I WOULD LOOK AT BAJA DESIGNS WAY BEFORE RICKY STATOR (MUCH LONGER LIFE)

Headlight.  I need a DOT approved dual beam headlight.  Looking at a few I seem to like the moose racing species.  I however cannot find if it meets my needs.  Also what are folks running for a brake light and switch?  Im looking to keep it barely legal no turn signals needed in VA.

TONS TO CHOOSE FROM. BAJA DESIGNS SQUADON IS WHAT I WOULD USE

Tires.  Size wise will be stock.  I am pretty much dialed in on kenda trackmaster 2.  Seem to appear to be a mostly dirt tire.  Are they decent?

BEST DS TIRE IS THE KENDA

Again thanks for looking and possibly helping me.  If this is posted in wrong spot please let me know where to put it or if you can and will please move.  Thanks im looking forward to figuring this out.  

THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF POSTS ON THESE SUBJECTS+

• Like 1

I had 14/48 gearing on my 450X and it redlines in the low 90 MPH with dirt tires.

Stator - I agree with Krannie. I have the Baja Designs stator with over 2000 miles and no issues on it.

Headlight - Again with Krannie. I also have the Squadron on my bike, they sell a "dimmer box" for it that you can wire into the switch for their DOT kit. It's a 3 way switch so I have mine set to 10%, 50%, and 100% output. Which is really nice because 100% is too bright for oncoming traffic.

Tires - Also running the Kena TM 2, have zero complaints about them.

Can't speak for Ricky stator, but I've been a big fan of Baja Designs over the past few  years. They cost more, but everything is plug and play with their kits. No splicing, no guessing, makes it really simple.

Ok. Plans changed I found out knobbys won't gonna cut it in turns. Ordered warp 9 supermoto setup. Be here tomorrow. Going to try 15/44 setup. Bike has plenty of power on 14/50 now and should be ok. I have everything wired up to a offroad dirt bikes kill and start on right and trail tech lights and horn on left. I'm yet to update light and stator but will deal with this for inspection and being winter now I'll have time to experiment and save for a killer light. I really need to try current gearing and go from there. I'm in the market for oversized tank also. Anyone have a extra

Ok. Plans changed I found out knobbys won't gonna cut it in turns. Ordered warp 9 supermoto setup. Be here tomorrow. Going to try 15/44 setup. Bike has plenty of power on 14/50 now and should be ok. I have everything wired up to a offroad dirt bikes kill and start on right and trail tech lights and horn on left. I'm yet to update light and stator but will deal with this for inspection and being winter now I'll have time to experiment and save for a killer light. I really need to try current gearing and go from there. I'm in the market for oversized tank also. Anyone have a extra