Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF250 possible fuel delivery problem, but don't freaking know.

I've got an 05 CRF 250, and since I've had it, it's been problematic.  All with the same symptoms, kinda.  At first, it just had a problem starting.  It's been to a mechanic multiple times now.  It starts great, but now when you try to hit the gas and gun it, even in first gear, it feels like it is dying.  Almost like the fuel just cuts off.  Once you let off the throttle, it runs again.  It's ok if you don't ever gun it.  The carb has been totally cleaned, and the O rings in it replaced.  Altitude didn't seem to affect it at all, so I don't think it's a jetting issue.  Brand new gas, and I still can't figure it out.  Help please!

Maybe an accelerator pump issue. You want the squirt to just miss the plate when you twist the throttle. There are some good threads on here about how to tune it.

• Like 2

What's your jetting?

Is it a stock setup?

I haven't personally been in the carb.  One mechanic said it may be a jetting issue, so he looked at it, and ended up replacing the O rings in the top part of the carb above the float bowl.  He rode it prior, and said there shouldn't be any problems with it.  The carb has been dissected multiple times.  I'm starting to think it's not that anymore.  

I would check the accelerator pump, its designed to stop that condition from occuring. The problem is when you open the throttle fast the air velocity through the carb isnt as high as it needs to be until the rpms build up, the ap circuit squirts raw fuel into the intake to compensate. Like was mentioned before there are many threads on tuning this part of the carb. Dont discount it until you are sure its not the issue, "mechanics" dont always check everything you think they would.