How many of you lighten your bikes up?

Not sure if your trying to be rude or not.

1 I do train at the gym-follow a strict meal plan

2 I put in a lot of seat time as well I can only train so much. I do have a full time job any riding is just a hobby.

3 I have 25 years in racing of some sort.

4 we can all weigh the facts and the $ to lose pounds isn't worth it to most.

5 I'm not buying a Ktm or kx. I'm a Yamaha guy and always will be. I like the design of the motor and head I'm curious what kinda power one can pull out of it.

When a rider has to handle a heavy machine it will wear him down faster. Same goes for to much hp.

So the way I see it, I can build this 16 the way I like it and get a few years of use out of it.

Drop rotational mass and excessive weight seems like a good idea. It is kinda a fundamental of any racing.

It's not a dreamer thread.

I'm a authorized dealer for race tech titanium and parts are easy to obtain for me.

I need larger fuel tank for dunes and see you can get a cf one from Italy that weighs less than oem.

Cf seat pan with light foam.

Rims - cf hubs

Twisted engineering bars.

Lose the bulky plastics.

Right there's a lot of mass that I don't have to try to control around the track and that means less fatigue as a rider.

Probably not for everyone but it was a serious thread and I was wondering if people were into that on this site.

But thanks for belittling my thread.

Well said. Good job.

• Like 1

Not sure if your trying to be rude or not.

1 I do train at the gym-follow a strict meal plan

2 I put in a lot of seat time as well I can only train so much. I do have a full time job any riding is just a hobby.

3 I have 25 years in racing of some sort.

4 we can all weigh the facts and the $ to lose pounds isn't worth it to most.

5 I'm not buying a Ktm or kx. I'm a Yamaha guy and always will be. I like the design of the motor and head I'm curious what kinda power one can pull out of it.

When a rider has to handle a heavy machine it will wear him down faster. Same goes for to much hp.

So the way I see it, I can build this 16 the way I like it and get a few years of use out of it.

Drop rotational mass and excessive weight seems like a good idea. It is kinda a fundamental of any racing.

It's not a dreamer thread.

I'm a authorized dealer for race tech titanium and parts are easy to obtain for me.

I need larger fuel tank for dunes and see you can get a cf one from Italy that weighs less than oem.

Cf seat pan with light foam.

Rims - cf hubs

Twisted engineering bars.

Lose the bulky plastics.

Right there's a lot of mass that I don't have to try to control around the track and that means less fatigue as a rider.

Probably not for everyone but it was a serious thread and I was wondering if people were into that on this site.

But thanks for belittling my thread.

You asked a question, and got answers.  The general consensus is that there's really not much you can do to drop weight without spending gobs of money which it sounds like you're willing to do so the sky's the limit. If you wanted a specific answer as to what to do you may have been better off listing the things you had in mind first as you did in your last post, and then asking for other options.  You left it pretty wide open with the original post, therefore got a very broad answer.  I'm not being an a$$, Promise, 

Personally, I'd just ride the beast and let the 450 do all the work. 

You asked a question, and got answers. The general consensus is that there's really not much you can do to drop weight without spending gobs of money which it sounds like you're willing to do so the sky's the limit. If you wanted a specific answer as to what to do you may have been better off listing the things you had in mind first as you did in your last post, and then asking for other options. You left it pretty wide open with the original post, therefore got a very broad answer. I'm not being an a$$, Promise,

Personally, I'd just ride the beast and let the 450 do all the work.

Yeah I was just kinda digging for info or knowledge I appreciate all that I can get. I left it wide open to see what it brought in. And I fully agree it's cheaper to drop weight on the rider.

Thanks for your post

The best place to reduce weight from any bike, begins with the rider.. people spend a fortune on light weight bolt kits, different plastics, etc.

How about running 3 to 5 miles per day, cut out the cheetos, doritos, pizza, and gummy bears.. 

As someone else said in a previous post, only fill the tank half full versus all the way to the cap. Gasoline weigh's "on average" approximately 6 LBS per gallon. Do the math, reduce the fuel load by 1/2 gallon and you just reduced the overall weight by 3 LBS. 

Just my 2 cents.. 

Guys like that could beat most people riding a yellow wheelbarrow.

Getting the old CZ down from 255 to 230 was pretty easy, and made a noticeable difference.  The tank was 9 pounds, replaced with a 2.75 pound fiberglass unit, plastic fenders and number plates for steel, plastic levers, lighter CroMo bars, and building a low pipe to replace the one high pipe that was apparently made by welding two bumpers together, stuff like that.  But they don't build them that way anymore.  Getting it from there down to 221 was a lot more work, and didn't help as much in the end, and is a lot more like the situation you face with the current models.

Lighter wheels and tires, BTW, are not about reducing the rotating mass as much as the unsprung mass, which directly impacts suspension performance.  The suspension is charged, ideally, with making the wheels stay in contact with the ground as much of the time as possible without letting the motorcycle move vertically in response to the ground any more than necessary.  When you hit a bump, the wheel is driven upward, and after it clears the top of the bump, the weight of the wheel still has inertia wanting to keep it moving up into the suspension.  The suspension, of course, needs to resist this and send the wheel rolling down the other side, and the more the wheel, tire, brake disc, sprocket if any, and the weight of the lower fork tubes or the rear 50% of the swing arm weighs, the more difficult that is to accomplish.

You sure about that?  Most aftermarket triple clamps are heavier.

Positive. I weighed both sets before fitting the Appplied clamps  ? . Can't remember exactly, but it was a fair bit as well.

That's with the stock steering stem as well. You'd save a heap more if you used the Applied Billet steering stem.

Edited by AddictedToBling

Billet machined triple clamps should have the ability to be a tad lighter as they are machined out underneath more than the stock casting. I own a couple of pars that I run on my Yamaha's. I never weighed them. They didn't feel much weight difference picking them up from one to the other. I use them for the different offset.