Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Liability/ Theft Insurance

How much are you guys paying a month for liability and theft insurance on your bikes? I see places like RAC and AOAA require proof of insurance to ride. What insurance company are you guys using? I'm moving up to PA at the end of December.

Thanks

I use progressive and cover two bikes for $80/yr.   That's for off-road use only (liability only).   Home owners covers theft.

Jim.

I use progressive & have theft & liability. There is also a $3000 accessory add on. I pay $150 a year on a 2016 KTM 350 xcf. It really came in handy back in 2010 when my 09 300 xc was stolen. I presented receipt for add on & got paid for them plus the blue book value on my bike.

I had Rider for my Husqvarna TEs and it was about $80 a year, liability only. They didn't have full coverage for dirt bikes.

I have Progressive, about $90/year. Got it specifically so I can get the RAC permit. Just liability, no theft, collision, etc.

I just added a second bike to my Progressive policy. It added $4 to the cost for the next three months.

I just added the new-to-me '06 KTM to my progressive policy which currently has 1 street bike, and an old Polaris 4-wheeler on it.  I've been with them (no claims) since 2009.  Cost $35 for the year for full coverage, 0 deductible, comp & collision. 

I use progressive and cover two bikes for $80/yr. That's for off-road use only (liability only). Home owners covers theft.

Jim.

I just had this conversation with my agent and I was told that homeowners would not cover theft on dirt bikes, have to add comprehensive to the dirt bike policy for that. Don't know who's right or wrong, but I wouldn't assume anything without confirming with your own insurance company. Edited by snydes
  • Like 1

I just had this conversation with my agent and I was told that homeowners would not cover theft on dirt bikes, have to add comprehensive to the dirt bike policy for that. Don't know who's right or wrong, but I wouldn't assume anything without confirming with your own insurance company.

Don't think it's a matter of right or wrong; policies cover different things and laws vary by state as well.

Important take away; make sure you check!

Jim.

• Like 3

I just had this conversation with my agent and I was told that homeowners would not cover theft on dirt bikes, have to add comprehensive to the dirt bike policy for that. Don't know who's right or wrong, but I wouldn't assume anything without confirming with your own insurance company.

As Jim said, it varies a lot, by state, policy, laws, etc.

You should also ask your agent about a blanket theft policy, or a theft rider for your homeowner's insurance. They are usually a lot cheaper than comprehensive on the bike itself.

My old homeowners insurance had a special automatic theft coverage while I was "on trips". It was unclear what that meant, but it clearly meant that theft out of my garage was different than theft off my trailer when I was out at a riding area. I'm not too worried about theft from my garage, its when I'm out somewhere like Hatfield-McCoy and staying in a cheap hotel that I get concerned.

I questioned my agent as to what covered what in the event of theft or an auto accident while traveling with a van full of bikes and gear. In my situation my homeowners would cover the gear and other contents of the van but the bikes needed collision/comprehensive to be fully covered. The good news was adding the coverage to my existing liability policy on the bikes cost an additional whopping $2 a month.

I use progressive, $120 year for full coverage on a 2016 husky 450, so I'd say it's cheap

I saw your bike in another thread on here. Very nice! good price too.

Don't think it's a matter of right or wrong; policies cover different things and laws vary by state as well.

Jim.

VERY important take away indeed. My enclosed trailer needs to be on the policy as well for any kind of comprehensive/collision claim.

I have progressive comprehensive on a 2015 ktm xcf350w I think its around 90$ a yr and for me they said comprehensive covers theft or even a tree limb falling on it but I mainly got it for theft and id make sure whatever route you go that theft is covered

Jim.

True and also by carrier , some just don't cover what you own. Shop around because after the door gets kicked in and the adjuster comes to the house and wrights up the door but not the bike or tools behind it is not the time to ask why these thing are not covered.

Mine are attached to homeowners but you may need a stand alone policy depending on you state and carrier.