1997 Honda XR650L Starting Issue

I hit the start button and the starter relay clicks once.  The bike will not start.  I put the bike in gear and push it just to bump it a little.  I push the start button and the bike starts.  Is there a dead spot in the starter?  Does pushing it slightly in gear move the starter to a point where it will now start right up?

All safeties are bypassed by connecting and grounding the clutch safety wires.

Do I need to replace the starter?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

First step is to have the battery load tested at a shop. If bat tests good, I would take a meter and read voltage at the starter motor while the start switch is pressed. If you're getting bat voltage at the starter, you know it is a faulty starter motor. To me it does sound like a bad starter motor.

• 5 weeks later...

I hit the start button and the starter relay clicks once.  The bike will not start.  I put the bike in gear and push it just to bump it a little.  I push the start button and the bike starts.  Is there a dead spot in the starter?  Does pushing it slightly in gear move the starter to a point where it will now start right up?

All safeties are bypassed by connecting and grounding the clutch safety wires.

Do I need to replace the starter?

Brian

I agree with what motorman said, check that first. Seeing how it starts after its bumped over a little bit I'm sure your battery is fine, and its more than likely the brushes or the commutator on the armature (this is where the brushes contact the armature) As a bandaid you can take the motor apart and hit the electrical contact points with some really fine sand paper (600 Grit) to polish the contacts. Let me know if that helps.