Sign in to follow this  

01 cr250 head gasket sealant?

I just rebuilt the top end and upon reassembly (new head gasket with bumps up and tabs facing the back), I found that when I put coolant in, it was dripping down the side of the cylinder. When I slowly kicked it over, coolant seeped out even quicker... Before the rebuild, the bike's idle took off on choke when it was cold with a very small amount of surging and some late throttle response, thus making the case of a lean condition. I rejetted pilot 45 to 48 and main 172 to 178 and was still the same lean symptoms. Now after the rebuild I have the clip at the third position instead of the second but I haven't started it yet.

Question 1: Was the lean condition likely because of the head gasket?

I am aware that the head might be warped. But I really don't want to spend the money for a new one.

Question 2: Would it hurt anything to keep my new head gasket from just rebuilding the bike last night and put some high temp gasket maker from a tube on either side of the gasket. Again, it is new, but it just won't seal. It hasn't been dumping coolant but it has seemed to be running lean. Would the possible warp age of the head and or cylinder be making it run lean? And would some gasket maker be an easy fix for it?

Did you tighten in the proper sequence while doing it slowly ? Don't do full torque right away go around like 1/4 full torque in the correct pattern then 3/4 then full torque .

It's not a star pattern it's whatever the manual says

So your aware of what might be the problem but don’t want to pursue it because you don’t want to spend the money. Sure you could put a band aid on it but the band aid will fail and this time it might lead to bigger, more expensive repairs. Why don’t you go get the head checked out and see if its warped, if it is replace it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is warped based on you mentioning it running lean.

Ok, I'll look into how much a new head costs. I knew it would eventually be the verdict but I was not sure if I could get by for now with a little sealant

$_35.jpg$T2eC16Z,!yME9s5qHs8oBRknTpp,tQ~~60_35.jpgI think you missed something, I'm guessing you have a cr series dirt bike, the reason you have leaking is the head stay mount to the back of your cyl head, if you frame is tweaked or your linkage is not greased you head stay will flex causing you cyl head to leak, you can shim both sides of the head stay projection with properly fitting washers on both sides. unbolt the head stays, run your bolt through and put the washer between the stay and cyl projection, both sides, bolt, washer, head stay, washer shim, head stay projection, washer shim, head stay, washer then nut! torque to spec, and for pete's sake don't put any sealant on that head gasket, it wont seal correctly and it will leak like a sive. good luck