Sign in to follow this  

Ktm starter problem !

Hello , my starter will not turn my engine . I just put in a brand new bike master battery. I have a 2012 KTM 250 sxf

I have to push start the bike and let it run for a good 5 minutes . After this I can shut the bike off and when I hit my start button it will turn over but if It doesn't fire up first try the starter runs slower and slower til eventually nothing happens . I then have to push start it again and hope it "charges up " the starting mechanism

Ik it's not the battery because I tested tho voltage with my meter and it reads 12.50v plus or minus .03

Oddly this occurred after I raised my tps to .61 trying to help my cold starting success

Has anyone experienced this and or have an idea why my starter would poop out ?

Thank you and God bless merica

Oddly this occurred after I raised my tps to .61 trying to help my cold starting success

Then put it back to what ever it was before when you could start it.

Also, just because a battery reads the correct volts doesn't mean it dead or bad.  You need to load test it to find out if its good.

Then put it back to what ever it was before when you could start it.

Also, just because a battery reads the correct volts doesn't mean it dead or bad. You need to load test it to find out if its good.

I have returned the tps back to its previous setting .54 and the problem exists still , i will jump my bike off tomorrow but how could my battery be drained so quick ? Also what exactly is load testing ? Thanks

Battery is not full charged when you get it you have to charge it using a proper charger . And the battery doesn't charge in 5 min . From half charge it takes a couple hours for full charge .

12v is nominal charged should be at ~13.5

Cold start has more to do with fuel , can you increase the idle fuel ratio ?

Battery is not full charged when you get it you have to charge it using a proper charger . And the battery doesn't charge in 5 min . From half charge it takes a couple hours for full charge .

12v is nominal charged should be at ~13.5

Cold start has more to do with fuel , can you increase the idle fuel ratio ?

well I didnt realize you had to charge your battery before you drop it in the bike

It will start with the choke and hold steady but without it I have to keep on the gas or it won't idle Until it's warm. Normally I would just a increase my idle knob until my bike is warm and then I can turn it down to its correct position

well I didnt realize you had to charge your battery before you drop it in the bike

It will start with the choke and hold steady but without it I have to keep on the gas or it won't idle Until it's warm. Normally I would just a increase my idle knob until my bike is warm and then I can turn it down to its correct position

when you say it will start with the choke on is that bump starting it or with the starter?

when you say it will start with the choke on is that bump starting it or with the starter?

that's is with the starter

So its suddenly fixed now? Great.

I was saying before this problem arised it would start with the starter using choke

I have jumped by bike off with my truck , and let it run for about 15min and that has somewhat "recharged my battery "

I guess the problem was that I didn't charge my battery prior to use ! On the packaging for the battery it says it has been charged to 13v before shipment so my question is how would my battery drain from adjusting my tps ??

Next step is to invest into a tender