Sign in to follow this  

Speed with gear guide?

Hi I have a 2011 drz 400e, quite new to me.

It's set for my commute to work and is geared with a 15t front and 45t rear sprocket.

I'm curious if there is some sort of guide for road use with gearing?

Most of my commute is 60 and 80km/h zones and my issue is this...

All gears great but sitting at 60 in 4th it feels like its revving to much but in 5th it really bogs down and feels horrible. I'm wondering if I need to change my sprockets to sort this out but what too?

I do once a week do a 50km each way ride on the freeway in which the speed limit is 100kph so I need to bike to sit comfortably here.

Any ideas or tips?

Cheers guys

in 4th with that gearing you should probably be to 70-80kph before hitting 5th if you want to stay in the power... your gearing is fine for 100 .. if traffic forces you to 'ride the line' right at your ideal shift point its a pita i feel ya .. goes with the territory i guess .. thats a good time to blow somebodys' doors off imo ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

in 4th with that gearing you should probably be to 70-80kph before hitting 5th if you want to stay in the power... your gearing is fine for 100 .. if traffic forces you to 'ride the line' right at your ideal shift point its a pita i feel ya .. goes with the territory i guess .. thats a good time to blow somebodys' doors off imo ..

I can definitely hit 80 in 4th it's just sitting on 4th for entire 60kph zones feels like it's just revving to much but 5th is just not an option.

Maybe it's just a 'I have to deal with it' problem.

Thanks guys

Sounds like it could be fixed by jetting. What carb / jets / needle do you have?

Before rejetting, my 15/44 S's 5th gear didn't really start being usable until after 70kph. After 3x3 and rejet it works to 60kph or less. (Even better / lower / smoother after droppikg in a CVK40 carb.)

• Like 1

if 5th is bogginh  stay in 4th..that's all.

changing sprocket (going back to 47) would help and maybe allow to run 5th gear...but then it would rev higher once on the highway at 100km/h

I need to stay in 4th up to 80km/h with mine (SM with ACT and 15-41)

Edited by maxpat82

The DRZ motor likes to rev. If you are bogging in fifth shifting to fourth is not reving it too high. Did you have a previous bike you are comparing the DRZ against? As you are new to the bike you need to get used to cruising at higher rpm's.

• Like 1

rev limiter iis 9750 on the DRZ , thats getting up there on a single.

ride it until the rev limiter tells you to shift or back off.

i think having a Tach added on, just to see the rpm would ease ones mind.

The DRZ motor likes to rev. If you are bogging in fifth shifting to fourth is not reving it too high. Did you have a previous bike you are comparing the DRZ against? As you are new to the bike you need to get used to cruising at higher rpm's.

No not comparing it to anything just noise levels I suppose.

I rode today with it in 4th at 60 and it's still got plenty of poke if I give the throttle a nice twist so it must be ok

Cheers

• Like 1

rev limiter iis 9750 on the DRZ , thats getting up there on a single.

ride it until the rev limiter tells you to shift or back off.

i think having a Tach added on, just to see the rpm would ease ones mind.

Wow ok that's high.

Where do I get a tacho?

BB kit? Big bore kit? Are they worth the investment?

Personally, after suspension work, BB is the best upgrade you can make on a E as you already have an FCR and good cams.

ACT wide ratio gear box would be a good investment if it's within your budget but why stop there, go stroker crank while the cases are split. :facepalm: