Sign in to follow this  

How can i refresh/rebuild 2 stroke Top end?

Hi all,

i'm thinking about refresh the top end on my 83 IT250K.......How can i do it??

Btw anyone has used the Yamalube expansion cleaner??? Is it good?

Thanks,

Jacky

Great questions.  I was wondering the same thing myself.  Thanks for posting this up in the appropriate forum.

Get online either on to my mountain or Motorsport and search up a top end kit for your year of bike and see if they have one in stock. In the kit will come a piston rings wrist pin bearing and all gaskets needed to rebuild it.

take the gas tank, muffler, and carb off. then you can get to the important parts. remove the head (or at least the spark plug) then take off the cylinder by removing the 4 nuts at the bottom. you may have to tap the cylinder upwards to break it free but after it comes loose it should come off pretty easy, pull it straight up as far as you can, you may have to pull the piston down to clear the cylinder, then with a small flat-head screw driver pry out one of the clips that hold the piston wrist pin in, and tap the pin out from the other side. and voila, you now have a piston to put on your shelf and show off. (I have quite a collection now) :)

get a shop to check out the cylinder to make sure its not too scratched if you aren't sure yourself. check that the connecting rod doesn't have too much play up and down, a little side to side is ok. then measure the width of the cylinder and buy a piston kit that matches the size. (most piston kits don't include the wrist pin bearing, I have found that I mostly had to order that separate) 

take the gas tank, muffler, and carb off. then you can get to the important parts. remove the head (or at least the spark plug) then take off the cylinder by removing the 4 nuts at the bottom. you may have to tap the cylinder upwards to break it free but after it comes loose it should come off pretty easy, pull it straight up as far as you can, you may have to pull the piston down to clear the cylinder, then with a small flat-head screw driver pry out one of the clips that hold the piston wrist pin in, and tap the pin out from the other side. and voila, you now have a piston to put on your shelf and show off. (I have quite a collection now) :)

get a shop to check out the cylinder to make sure its not too scratched if you aren't sure yourself. check that the connecting rod doesn't have too much play up and down, a little side to side is ok. then measure the width of the cylinder and buy a piston kit that matches the size. (most piston kits don't include the wrist pin bearing, I have found that I mostly had to order that separate)

Missed a bit !!!!! stuff the crank cases with rag / tissue or what ever first to keep the clip from dissapearing into that deep dark hole LOL
  • Like 1