Sign in to follow this  

About to do a coolant change, diluting coolant with de-ionized water?

Im about to ride to the shop to pick up some Motul coolant. The only problem is, it comes in 1ltr pre-mixed with distilled, but the cooling system in the drz is 1.2l. Do i have to buy another bottle just for that extra 200ml or would i be ok putting some de-ionized in instead?

Appreciate any help

• Like 1

I would personally just add water thats what I did a few months ago and it seems to be just fine. The only difference really is that if there is a lot of water corrosion can happen quicker, water itself being added to what you already have will not make the bike overheat any quicker or anything, wait for another opinion before you do anything if your still unsure. Also if it gets cold were you live and you have a lot of water in the system I think that it can potentially freeze. I think since your just toping it off the water should be fine.

Edited by DeltronZ
  • Like 1

just buy a 4gallon (4L) of premixed of your local autopart store.

all coolant are safe for aluminium now a day.

I used the cheapo "certified" which is the home brand of the autoparts store.

Im about to ride to the shop to pick up some Motul coolant. The only problem is, it comes in 1ltr pre-mixed with distilled, but the cooling system in the drz is 1.2l. Do i have to buy another bottle just for that extra 200ml or would i be ok putting some de-ionized in instead?

Appreciate any help

Yes; only use distilled, R/O filtered or de-ionized water in your cooling system. Never tap water.