Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike (yz250f 07) Starting Issues

I've recently just purchased a yz250f 07 (second hand). so far I haven't rode it properly yet because I dislocated my shoulder a couple of days before I made the purchase, but every now and then I start it up by pulling the choke out, give it a bit of gas and it'll take about 10 kicks before it starts up....

But since Monday this week my bike would turn on once (on neutral) and as soon as I place it into first gear the power shuts off...after this the bike wouldn't turn on again for the rest of the day no matter how many kicks I gave it (besides it from backfiring). I tried this again the next day but the exact same thing happened, where it'd turn on once and wouldn't turn on again.

I also noticed that the bike sounds like it's struggling to keep itself on even when it's just in one spot, as well as the lack of compression it has on the kick start compared to other of my friends' bikes. A friend did mention that it could be just a matter of adjusting the valves but I just wanted to make sure it was that before I start pulling stuff apart from my bike.

Can Someone Please Help Me!!!

Hard to start is often an indication that the valves need adjusting.

Stalling when you first shift it into gear could simply be the clutch grabbing because the oil that isn't warmed up yet,

rev the engine a bit higher as you pull the clutch and engage first, just shifting into gear while idling will stall it.

Once warmed up, if the bike still stalls/lurches forward when you shift into gear,

that could indicate the clutch cable needing adjustment or, sometimes a worn / damaged clutch basket.

Perhaps the reason you can't restart your engine is that you are flooding it,

once it has started, if it stalls don't attempt to re-start it with any choke.

Edited by mlatour

thanks you so much, I'll be sure to do all that soon when I get home, and with the valve adjustment, will that end up fixing the compression issue I have with my kick start?

If the compression is still low after adjusting odds are the valves are not seating correctly causing air to leak past them if shimming the valves works keep a close eye on the clearances because they will likely tighten up again, I always replace valves after shimming more than three times