Sign in to follow this  

YZ450 vs WR450 on street

I'm not looking to race, just use the bike around town and mess around on the streets. I'm looking at the wr450, but there aren't very many here around Indianapolis at the moment. I'm not looking to purchase the bike until mid to late winter probably but I tend to do a lot of research before purchasing anything so if you have answers that'd be great!

The only real differences I see so far is the yz being a 4 speed short range transmission, while the wr has a wider 5 speed. Of course the wr is better for road use, I mean that's what it's made for, but I was wondering if I could get away with using the yz450. This is because there are more available at much better prices. I can get a yz450 1,500-2,000$ cheaper than I can get a wr of the same year. Neither would come with sumo wheels. I work at a motorcycle parts store so getting a lighting kit and etc. wouldn't be hard for me to obtain at a good price for the yz. So does anyone have any thoughts? I'm only needing a top speed of about 70-75. I don't plan on taking the bike on the highway.

More than happy to answer any other questions if you have any that could help me out!

Get a WR450 better transmission ratios, electric start and comes with a good stator. The YZ's have aftermarket lighting issues.

I would avoid a 03 WR450 as there were some issues on that model.

You will end up spending a bit of money on wheels you might as well start out with a more valuable bike that's better suited.

• Like 1

Yz450fs have 5 speed transmissions. Get the WR, better option and reliability for this type of riding.

Hell, I even have a brand set of brand new warp 9 SM wheels and new Michelin 2ct mounted/balanced for a newer WR that I ended up not going to use I'm trying to sell for cheaper then you can get just the wheel set through warp 9 for.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651