MSR Fuel bottle mounts - to rack....let's see yours

Instead of buying a larger fuel tank (which I really don't want to do), I'm thinking it would be a good idea to bring along a couple of MSR fuel bottles long trips.  I already have the bottles, so that part is done.  How would you guys go about mounting them to a rear rack, or somewhere else?  Anyone have practical, inexpensive ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

do you have a rear rack? If you google msr fuel bottle DRZ and hit images there's a bunch of pics. Mostly dual bottles mounted with larg hose clamps on a rear fender rack that look pretty sweet. Some are mounted without even having a rack.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651
  • Like 1

do you have a rear rack? If you google msr fuel bottle DRZ and hit images there's a bunch of pics. Mostly dual bottles mounted with larg hose clamps on a rear fender rack that look pretty sweet. Some are mounted without even having a rack.

Yep, I have a rear rack.  Here's what I'm working around.....so I'd probably try to mount them sideways to the bottom rack pieces somehow.  I'm also planning on having a waterproof bag strapped to the top of the "action packer" (aka Ghetto trunk).

DRZ%20back.jpg

Instead of buying a larger fuel tank (which I really don't want to do), I'm thinking it would be a good idea to bring along a couple of MSR fuel bottles long trips.  I already have the bottles, so that part is done.  How would you guys go about mounting them to a rear rack, or somewhere else?  Anyone have practical, inexpensive ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Me? I wouldn't buy their stuff. Seems plausible that your money will end up in the hands of orgs that work against our access to public land for motorized recreation: https://www.cascadedesigns.com/Our-Story/Access-and-Conservation

• Like 1

Why not put them inside that 112 can cooler you have on the back...

Hahaha.....touche' Ron.  Well, actually, I was hoping to keep the separate from clothing or food, and if I could find a good place to mount them on the bike, so much the better.

Warner

I think it was signman606 that made up a pretty slick rack for holding two MSR bottles.  I took a quick look for the picture and couldn't find it, maybe he'll see this and post it again.  I hope so as I was going to use it as a model to make one for myself. 

After reading what Bryan posted I think I'm done buying MSR products so I'll see if I can't find another source for round fuel bottles.  

• Like 2

I think it was signman606 that made up a pretty slick rack for holding two MSR bottles.  I took a quick look for the picture and couldn't find it, maybe he'll see this and post it again.  I hope so as I was going to use it as a model to make one for myself. 

After reading what Bryan posted I think I'm done buying MSR products so I'll see if I can't find another source for round fuel bottles.  

Yeah, if you could find that post, it would be great....thanks.  I had no idea about MSR.....have had the bottles for years now....

• Like 1

Sorry for the info. ? They make good stuff... Too bad there are strings attached.

• Like 2

Sorry for not getting to this thread, but Noel PM'd me and here are a few pics.........

Canistermod003_zpsf919f4aa.jpg

Canistermod002_zpsff786a5b.jpg

Canistermod001_zpsfa5396a4.jpg

Just everyone knows, this is 707drz's idea.....he let me borrow it. His was aluminum and welded, but I'm not a welder and used stuff I can work with.....

Essentially cut a piece of lexan and tapered the end, drilled a piece of wood with a hole cutter that was the right diameter of the bottle, and then run thru the table saw so I had split pieces. Then I cut the outside edges after lifting a leg over several times and catching my pants, so I did some surgery, rounded over the edges with a router and screwed up thru the bottom lexan piece. Brackets happened to have yellow twist knobs, but I also saw blue and red, so do whatever you want. Hope this gives you all some ideas.......there is enough fuel to go another 60mi. + or -, and they DO NOT LEAK. Made for white gas for camping.....bullet proof.

• Like 3

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Me? I wouldn't buy their stuff. Seems plausible that your money will end up in the hands of orgs that work against our access to public land for motorized recreation: https://www.cascadedesigns.com/Our-Story/Access-and-Conservation

OK I just realized MSR is Mountain Safety Research and thankfully not Malcolm Smith Racing as first thought. Whew! Much easier to avoid their products.

• Like 1

Sorry for not getting to this thread, but Noel PM'd me and here are a few pics.........

Canistermod003_zpsf919f4aa.jpg

Canistermod002_zpsff786a5b.jpg

Canistermod001_zpsfa5396a4.jpg

Just everyone knows, this is 707drz's idea.....he let me borrow it. His was aluminum and welded, but I'm not a welder and used stuff I can work with.....

Essentially cut a piece of lexan and tapered the end, drilled a piece of wood with a hole cutter that was the right diameter of the bottle, and then run thru the table saw so I had split pieces. Then I cut the outside edges after lifting a leg over several times and catching my pants, so I did some surgery, rounded over the edges with a router and screwed up thru the bottom lexan piece. Brackets happened to have yellow twist knobs, but I also saw blue and red, so do whatever you want. Hope this gives you all some ideas.......there is enough fuel to go another 60mi. + or -, and they DO NOT LEAK. Made for white gas for camping.....bullet proof.

That's slick, but since I have my "action packer" mounted to my rack already, I'm going to have to come up with something else.....

Warner

Edited by webbie1
  • Like 1

Thanks in advance,

Warner

I bought a gas tank saddlebag made by Tusk, for quads, for about $20.

41ljHVNfE2L.jpg

They can be mounted on the tank or across/under the seat and will hold 4 fuel bottles, over a gallon.

I always put the extra fuel in the tank as soon as it'll fit, usually after about 60 miles.

?

Edited by Kenstone
  • Like 1

I use the Wolfman bottle holders.   They would strap easy to the left and right side of your rear rack even with your action packer on.

Also you can look up ATV Logic Tank Saddlebags.   About $20 and a multitude of uses.    

Edited by TheAristocrats
  • Like 1

I use the Wolfman bottle holders.   They would strap easy to the left and right side of your rear rack even with your action packer on.

Also you can look up ATV Logic Tank Saddlebags.   About $20 and a multitude of uses.    

I have to check and see what size MSR bottles I have.....I know I have a couple different sizes......

Thanks,

Warner

I bought a gas tank saddlebag made by Tusk, for quads, for about $20.

They can be mounted on the tank or across/under the seat and will hold 4 fuel bottles, over a gallon.

I always put the extra fuel in the tank as soon as it'll fit, usually after about 60 miles.

?

Not bad for the price.....thanks for the suggestion.....I need to see what size bottles I have.....I know I have two different sizes.......

depending on the design of your rack you can always do like me

tumblr_nllf2yDb5n1qzhnnwo1_1280.jpg

i have the immix racing rack and spent quite awhile shaping cradles like above until realizing that the clamps are more than long enough to slip under the rack and around the bottles. held strong for over a hundred miles full then empty, worth a try