Sign in to follow this  

Converting a 20mm hub to a 22mm hub ?

My yz250fx has the new style forks with the 22mm axle.  My spare front wheel came from an older bike that has a 20mm axle.  How does one convert a 20mm hub to receive the 22mm axle ?

Just replace the wheel bearings and the spacer that goes between them ?  Anyone have part numbers for the 22mm parts ?

How does one pull out the existing wheel bearings ?  

This might help.  I put it together when I was getting a 2nd wheel set for my ice tires.  I have an '09 with the larger rear axle and run an '04 rear with a smaller rear axle.  I use the smaller axle and spacers that I made on a lathe to fit onto my '09.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17tzDNRtCxwRCxUxmi81JcymG2fjKhbs-JjMDqSuuc3A

You'll need part fisches for the model years you're looking at.  Most of them have a "compatible with these years/models" view if you open a part.

There's a few ways you could make it work

1) Use 20mm axle, get/make spacers so the forks accept it

2) Get a new 22mm hub, relace your spare wheel on to that

3) Use 22mm axle, get appropriate bearings to mate 22mm hub to 20mm axle.  You need to pay attention to the left/right position so your brake rotor is in the correct location.

Thanks very much for sharing that spreadsheet.

What year did the YZ250F go to the 22mm front axle ?  Did it coincide with the reverse engine layout or did it happen before then ?

Did the hub change when the axle size changed or did just the wheel bearings change ?  I guess I should go measure the hubs I have... 

FWIW, I'm also doing this so that I have a second set of wheel for studded winter tires for my FX.

FWIW, the wheels in question are presently mounted on my 2012 WR450F.  They fit perfectly with the WR axles and spacers. 

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

FYI, some YZ250FX part numbers.

Front hub 1SL-25111-00

Front bearing 93306-97203

Bearing spacer 1SL-25117-00

Oil seal 93102-30014

The 2003-2013 YZ250F front hub is a 5NY-25111-00. 

I'll have to measure my hubs to see what the difference is.

I haven't measured anything, but someone told me that the 20 and 22mm hubs are different.   The 22mm hub has a larger bearing recess to run a larger bearing.

Apparently you can get a bearing for the 22mm axle that fits in the 20mm hub, but it won't last because the balls in it are too small.  Apparently 10 hours is all you can expect.  I have no first hand experience with this, I'm just passing on what I was told.

• Like 1

I haven't measured anything, but someone told me that the 20 and 22mm hubs are different.   The 22mm hub has a larger bearing recess to run a larger bearing.

Apparently you can get a bearing for the 22mm axle that fits in the 20mm hub, but it won't last because the balls in it are too small.  Apparently 10 hours is all you can expect.  I have no first hand experience with this, I'm just passing on what I was told.

Anybody there who has acces to some bearings for the 22mm hub and could measure their width to proof that? Their outer diameter is obviously 37mm, which is the same as for the 20mm hub.

Btw I don´t see how giving them more width would make them stronger as the diameter of the balls seems to be restricted by the space between axle ad hub, except they changed them from a single-row into a double-row design. But I may be wrong there.

I would really appreciate anybody measuring the new bearingss as I also have an old sparewheel that I want to fit on to my `16.

I have been down this road trying to convert a 13 wheel to fit a 14,the bearings to fit are 22x37x9,but when you buy them you proberbly won`t fit then as the inner bearing race is very thin.My advice would be buy a 14 hub and get it laced into the wheel.
I have wasted ££ on buying inner spacer bearing and seals..
Good luck