Sign in to follow this  

Odd '00 KX250 Leak

I recently purchased a 2000 KX250 with a bad engine. It came with all of the needed parts for there rebuild (bottom end, top end, gaskets, etc.). I sent the cylinder off to millennium to be re-plated and sized to the piston. When I disassembled the engine, I noticed that the previous owner had 2 gaskets stacked up for the inner clutch cover. I thought it was odd, but moved on. When I put everything back together, I noticed a high spot in the inner clutch cover below the kick starter, but not quite at the bottom. I verified that the engine case was flat and that the inner clutch cover was the problem. The odd part is that it doesn't look as though it has ever been repaired or ground on. The high spot also seems to short to be what I would consider warping, especially when the rest of the case cover is flat. Not one to half-ass things and just throw some RTV at it and call it a day, I purchased another (used) cover off of eBay. I noticed that this cover is high in the exact same spot. I searched several forums and found several people with leaks in the same general area as mine, but no mention of the cover being goofed up. Everyone just seemed to slather some goop on it and call it good. Is there a known problem with these things that I'm not aware of? Maybe a certain year that I should stay away from maybe?

There is a protrusion from the cover that should be flush with the mating surface of the side casing.  This keeps the shift rod in place.  If your cover won't sit flush the shift rod is not fully seated into the center case or may not be assembled correctly.

So the inner clutch cover is not supposed to be machined completely flat, nor is the right half of the main case? I guess I don't follow what you're saying. The inner clutch cover seats flat/mates up to the main case correctly for all but about an inch or two. It's easy to see if I lay it on a flat surface. Maybe I should take a picture when I get home this evening to make sure we're both talking about the same thing.

The part that's the issue with the inner clutch cover is concave (pulls away from the main case) rather than convex (protrudes out to the main case). The high spot is an upward "wave" (for lack of a better term) rather than a defined machined notch or step.

The two main case halves went together just fine and seem to seal fine. Although I haven't started the bike, I have rolled the rear wheel on the stand to verify that all gears are there.

Edited by bumpnzx3

The machined surface where it seals against the center case should be flat.  Sounds like yours is warped.

Ok- good. That would have been the first case I had ever heard of to be machined like that on purpose.

The area raised area seems to short to warp- it's maybe only 2"-3 along the gasket surface. Additionally, the replacement I purchased has the exact same issue in the exact same spot. I guess I could roll the dice on a third inner clutch cover and hope for the best.

Can anyone confirm that the '98/'99 inner clutch covers are the same as the '00/'01? I have found a few references saying that they are the same, but the parts fiche shows different numbers. They look the same and nearly all of the engine parts are the same. There's more affordable options on eBay for the '99 variety.

Can anyone confirm that the '98/'99 inner clutch covers are the same as the '00/'01? I have found a few references saying that they are the same, but the parts fiche shows different numbers. They look the same and nearly all of the engine parts are the same. There's more affordable options on eBay for the '99 variety.

click on the part number on partzilla.com and it will pull up a list of other year parts that are compatible with that year.

How about some pics?  I'm having a hard time visualizing the warpage...

Edited by turbo dan

It is more than likely the end of the shift shaft is protruding and contacting the shaft stay formed inside the half case.  This shaft may not have seated all the way down during installation or just fell out while moving the engine without the half case and it is difficult to see because all things will still function. If you get eye level with the right side case mating surface and can see the shift shaft, it isn't seated. Take a small pick and down by the tiny detent spring located on the lowest piece on the shaft and shimmy it till the shaft falls into place. Your cases will mate up perfectly and no more leaks.  Cheers!