Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Old Guy

Hi,

I finally decided to register...I've been lurking and learning for a little while now.

I have been riding for 30+ years now, and have owned way too many bikes. Wait.  Is there such a thing?  I currently have three other bikes and have always done my all  own work. Tinkering is very therapeutic.  Anyway, I have always really liked the 400 SM since they came out. It just looked like way too much fun.  Kept telling myself I need to get one, one of these days. Well, I'm not getting any younger (50!) and decided to take the plunge.

I popped in to a local dealer.  Naturally, they didn't have one, but mentioned they were expecting one in March.  I asked about leftover '14's, as I REALLY liked the blue/white scheme, but he wasn't aware of any nor had any access to leftovers.

As luck would have it, I was looking at ads (a daily thing) the following day and a dealer had advertised one on Craigslist, brand new, great deal.  It was about two hours away down in Ohio. Did NOT want to lose it.  Calls made. Trip down there. Done deal.

Just arrived last night.  Couldn't be happier.  Bits/manuals on order and will contemplate various mods after break-in come spring. 

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Forums for the other bikes have been a vast wealth of information (and sometimes entertainment), and this appears to be the same.  

Thanks!  

SM.jpg

• Like 10

I have been riding for 30+ years now, and have owned way too many bikes. Wait.  Is there such a thing?  I currently have three other bikes and have always done my all  own work. Tinkering is very therapeutic.  Anyway, I have always really liked the 400 SM since they came out. It just looked like way too much fun.  Kept telling myself I need to get one, one of these days. Well, I'm not getting any younger (50!) and decided to take the plunge.

No. but I understand the feeling!

Did the exact same thing with a 955 Daytona. Had it shipped from Penn. with zero miles on the clock.

Welcome to the board.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Did the exact same thing with a 955 Daytona. Had it shipped from Penn. with zero miles on the clock.

One of the bikes is a 955i Tiger (my second Tiger).  I'm a bit of a Triumph fan as well.

• Like 1

Nice bike, i have one just like it. (well it was. before the mods) got mine when i was 47. The SM was just a bike i had to have in my life. I am sooo glad i got it. I have 3 bikes, but if i could only have one, the DRZ would be it.

Hope you see many happy miles with yours.    :thumbsup:  :ride:

• Like 4

Nice! Congrats on your brand new machine & welcome to the forum  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: Black tank, white trim, blue accents... the nicest looking "out-of-the-box" SM out there! Great choice & well worth the road trip.

• Like 3

Hi,

I finally decided to register...I've been lurking and learning for a little while now.

I popped in to a local dealer.  Naturally, they didn't have one, but mentioned they were expecting one in March.  I asked about leftover '14's, as I REALLY liked the blue/white scheme, but he wasn't aware of any nor had any access to leftovers.

As luck would have it, I was looking at ads (a daily thing) the following day and a dealer had advertised one on Craigslist, brand new, great deal.  It was about two hours away down in Ohio. Did NOT want to lose it.  Calls made. Trip down there. Done deal.

Just arrived last night.  Couldn't be happier.  Bits/manuals on order and will contemplate various mods after break-in come spring. 

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Forums for the other bikes have been a vast wealth of information (and sometimes entertainment), and this appears to be the same.  

Thanks!  

Awesome!! Congrats on the new bike and I am in agreement on the color......great choice. LUV the blue rims, they are pure sex! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Thanks so much guys. Glad to see I'm not the only, ahem, mature person that arrived at this conclusion. 

I found myself just staring at the damn thing this morning before leaving for work.  Absolutely the right choice, right time, and damn, I know this is going to be fun.

Again, much appreciated.

• Like 3

another "old" guy here....have had over 40 bikes and been riding since the 60's...the DRZsm has been one of my favorites....I currently have two of em!

• Like 4

another "old" guy here....have had over 40 bikes and been riding since the 60's...the DRZsm has been one of my favorites....I currently have two of em!

Excellent. Someone on the Triumph forum, upon seeing my recent purchase, referred to me as a hooligan.  I kinda liked it.

• Like 3

Thanks so much guys. Glad to see I'm not the only, ahem, mature person that arrived at this conclusion. 

Awesome. I'm 52 and find myself riding my DRZ WAYYYYY more than I do my Harley bagger these days out here in AZ. 

• Like 3

Excellent. Someone on the Triumph forum, upon seeing my recent purchase, referred to me as a hooligan.  I kinda liked it.

Haha, ya, i see a supermoto and i'm think'n  "hooligan" , over 50 on an SM, wanna be hooligan. Can you still get it up? :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Sweet ride! Congratulations! Agree with the masses, that is the best color scheme on the sm. Where abouts in MI are you? I'm in Metamora and am also a triumph nut. Ride a 955 Sprint ST.

Down in Royal Oak - that 955 is a great bike (love that engine), also have a (Hinckley) Bonneville in there.

• Like 1

Haha, ya, i see a supermoto and i'm think'n  "hooligan" , over 50 on an SM, wanna be hooligan. Can you still get it up? :thumbsup:

In my defense, I've been sort of a hooligan in training for a while. Have played with flatslides, gearing, mods, and a front end that doesn't want to maintain contact with the ground. :thumbsup:

Please note:  It's an OLD one, not into snobbishness (and I like these old ones anyway).

Duc.jpg

Duc1.jpg

• Like 2