Sign in to follow this  

xr250l front brake light switch

ssoo, the switch only works when slightly depressed, basically in the first instance of grabbing the lever, beyond that it turns off again. so, my question is then, is it possible that there is a point you can press the switch beyond a certain range where it will be 'off'?? or has the switch actually failed? thanks

also a note, i dropped the bike the other day(last week) and bent the lever pretty good, just noticed the issue with the brake lights today. 

any suggestions? thanks

Edited by Timmoto

ssoo, upon further review.. the front switch is 'off' when it is pressed, and 'on' when it is released. in other words, when the switch is pressed inwards, and the brake lever is not applied its 'off' but when the brake lever is pressed it releases the switch and it becomes 'on'. what i found was, if the switch has nothing touching it at all, and the lever was beyond the button/switches range, it would turn 'off' again. meaning in the full motion of the switch, when fully pressed in its 'off' and when it starts to be released it turns 'on' but if its all the way out and at the maximum of the switches range of travel it will go back 'off'. i'm not really sure if this is normal operation or not however... to me it would seem like if thats how the switch operates, releasing the switch no matter how far in its range should activate the circuit, its a plastic switch so its not like its conductive or anything.. anywho, realized today that the lower brake switch has also failed. going to replace them and go from there..

yeah, i have the replacement part. seemed to be intermittent, as its working fine right now. but, that answers my question, shouldn't matter if anything is contacting the switch or not, a fully released switch should operate the rear light.