Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf 450 help?!

Hi new to this new on here first post so be nice people not to harsh lol

Anyway i have just bought my new bike yestarday and it runs well starts second third kick (even today) anyway the bike cosmetically is flawless (looks very well taken care of) can see its had abit of money spent on it, anyway back on why im on here is that this morning i went to look at the bike and it has leaked some oil about a tablespoon maybe abit more so i cleaned it up and had a check about 20mins later and it is coming from a nut on the very bottom of the bikes engine the nut has a washer on it, so my question is is this a serious problem or a simple one like changing the nut and washer? At first i thought it was the oil drain nut but i thought that was on the side of the engine this is on the bottom. Can someone please as it is starting to worry me, if you need pictures or anything please let me know as i need to get this sorted asap thanks

That is the engine side drain plug. Go buy a new crush washer and you should be good to go. Engine oil and filter change is always the first thing you do when you buy a bike anyway

So what is the bottom one called as that is the one im having a problem with, if i sound stupid im sorry as i dont know much im just getting into the sport lol thanks for letting me know, if i take the nut out amd the oil comes out do i refill the engine oil? I am going to service it tomorrow make sure everything is fine and dandy :) thanks for the reply mate

First off, Welcome to TT, and CRF forum.

Secondly get yourself the owners manual or service manual, available from Helm Inc. http://www.helminc.com

As it seems you have discovered, that is the motor oil drain plug. Should just need a new alum. Crush washer to stop leak. The transmission drain plug is on the left side next to the shifter shaft. Motor oil fill plug is on left side crankcase cover, and tranny oil fill plug is on right side crankcase cover. Sounds like you got yourself a nice ride there. You really need that manual to keep up on all the maintenance, so it stays nice. For each hour of riding you need to give it an equal amount of love in the garage.

oil the washer and the threads, do not over tighten, just snug, I usually go about 10-15 ft lbs but that's just a guess.  The threads in the engine are not that strong.  I just go snug.  The book says about 20 ft lbs which I think is too much.  Both plugs are accessed from the left side of the bike, the one farthest under is tranny other is engine oil. 

Edited by ramjetV8

oil the washer and the threads, do not over tighten, just snug, I usually go about 10-15 ft lbs but that's just a guess. The threads in the engine are not that strong. I just go snug. The book says about 20 ft lbs which I think is too much. Both plugs are accessed from the left side of the bike, the one farthest under is tranny other is engine oil.

I'm pretty sure the motor oil drain plug is on the bottom of right side crankcase.

#36 in diagram

MEN4E1100A.gif

Edited by susco64

oil the washer and the threads, do not over tighten, just snug, I usually go about 10-15 ft lbs but that's just a guess.  The threads in the engine are not that strong.  I just go snug.  The book says about 20 ft lbs which I think is too much.  Both plugs are accessed from the left side of the bike, the one farthest under is tranny other is engine oil. 

09 switched, tranny drain is on the left side by the shifter.  Engine drain is on the right side bottom of the engine.  I am pretty sure the torque is 12-13lbs off the top of my head.

When you take the oil drain bolt out to replace the washer, you should change the oil and filter.  as suggested above get a manual before you do anything else.  Then change both the tranny and engine oil, and make sure you have a good clean and oiled air filter (under the seat).  then ride and enjoy.