How to start a 2-stroke race bike

Funny thing, I have been reading tt readers woe's on starting and running these beasts. First thing you need is a mechanically sound bike, fresh top end, fresh spark plug, clean airfilter, fresh fuel, and proper jetting for your favorite riding aera. All of the above is mandatory or no start for you!  Hop on your bike, turn the fuel pet-cock to the on postion, next activate your choke, fuel injected bike need not to worry. Keep your hand on the throttle fully closed.  Rotate your crank to bring the piston top dead center, you notice that it has the most resistance up there, now give it a good boot! A properly maintained race-bike should kick in the first 2-3 kicks. When it warms up then switch off the choke, now its ready to ride or race.  Go roost!! 0.jpgkirk-meme.pnga9421sctv_2.jpg

• Like 1

When I ride my friends 2 strokes . its 1 firm kick with a handful of throttle applied during the kick. Fires over even when cold.. Some kid was stallwd out on an 2013 250sx and was kicking and kickin. But without using any gas. So the motor was getting rotation but no real fire. He said he was done and started pushing. Took 1 kick with a handful of throttle and it roared to life. Maybe some shouldn't ride 2 smokes

• Like 1

When I ride my friends 2 strokes . its 1 firm kick with a handful of throttle applied during the kick. Fires over even when cold.. Some kid was stallwd out on an 2013 250sx and was kicking and kickin. But without using any gas. So the motor was getting rotation but no real fire. He said he was done and started pushing. Took 1 kick with a handful of throttle and it roared to life. Maybe some shouldn't ride 2 smokes

I'm not discouraging men with riding challenges, but some out there I've seen shouldn't ride. It's that simple.

• Like 1

Funny thing, I have been reading tt readers woe's on starting and running these beasts. First thing you need is a mechanically sound bike, fresh top end, fresh spark plug, clean airfilter, fresh fuel, and proper jetting for your favorite riding aera. All of the above is mandatory or no start for you!  Hop on your bike, turn the fuel pet-cock to the on postion, next activate your choke, fuel injected bike need not to worry. Keep your hand on the throttle fully closed.  Rotate your crank to bring the piston top dead center, you notice that it has the most resistance up there, now give it a good boot! A properly maintained race-bike should kick in the first 2-3 kicks. When it warms up then switch off the choke, now its ready to ride or race.  Go roost!! ?0.jpg?kirk-meme.png?a9421sctv_2.jpg

Why are we getting this instruction?   :excuseme:

Joe

• Like 3

Back years ago when i had a kick started 2 stroke i had a guy show me a little trick.

He would put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth, then drop it in neutral. Thing would start first kick every time. Said it primed the motor, worked for me on my old KTM.

that's what I do....first kick every time