Sign in to follow this  

Beta RR300 vs KTM 300EXC?

I've been asked so many times on Youtube about the Beta RR300 vs the KTM 300EXC that I figured it was time for a video. 

I thought i'd post it here too to see what you guys think if you came across to Beta from one of the pumpkins and put a list together of the pros and cons of going red for anyone else trying to decide. 

My personal conclusion is the KTM could have the edge for the professional racer, or a very experienced rider who is fast and hard core... but then the Beta RR300 will be the best bike for almost everyone else. But I don't think here's much in it and no one would be disappointed either way. Plenty of professional riders are doing great on the Beta, and there are plenty of trail hacks who are very happy with their KTMs. 

Beta engine wins hands down. Far better starter motor, more user friendly, much better power valve adjustment, linear power for great traction, less likely to boil over...

The exhaust pipe is much higher and more tucked away on the Beta, so less likely to hit logs and rocks for us gumby riders.

KTM probably still has the edge for hard core riders? Early Sachs suspension was holding the earlier Betas back, but as of 2015 it's working quite well once set up correctly - see this guide here

I had my Sachs set up for my weight by a suspension tuner, they put the rear shock on a dyno and said it's one of the best stock shocks they've seen and could only make minor improvements on the valving. They said the forks were good but did get more of a plush feelon the initial stroke with a revalve. The Beta has a rear linkage, KTM persists with the PDS which can be good for clearing logs and rocks, but takes more work to get a nice action. 

Ergonomics and weight. Later model Betas are better in these respects... lower, narrower and while the claimed weights put the Beta at 2kg heavier it feels lighter. That lower seat height is a real god send for shorter riders, but of course it does mean slightly less ground clearance so tall or experienced riders might prefer the KTM if they'll be hopping over a lot of logs and rocks. 

Both bikes handle well, KTM has reduced that twitchy front end but it still deters some and the Beta is more confidence inspiring, at least for us everyday riders. 

Price wise, the Beta is cheaper... close to a thousand dollars in many countries and about $2000 cheaper in Australia!

Beta parts are cheaper, and way cheaper than most KTM parts. Of course KTM have the edge here with availability since there are far more dealers around, but Beta's solution is a very easy to use ordering system on every dealer's website and rapid postage works well. Personally I love how Beta is up front with their parts prices, KTM seem to hide theirs. :)

Along with the cheaper price on the Beta is a bit of extra bling on the standard model... billet triple clamps, FMF exhaust, Galfer discs. Nice if you are into that sort of thing whereas you'll need to buy KTM's premium model to get similar gear. 

KTM still has the bigger fuel tank, important if you are into longer rides or into enduros with some fairly long legs between fuel stops. 

There are more aftermarket parts available for KTMs but the gap is closing fast, there's a lot around for Beta now. 

The KTM has a slightly lighter clutch, handy if you do a lot of clutch slipping in tight technical terrain. 

• Like 16

Personally I have a big KTM dealer in town who stocks a lot of bikes and has amazing support. Then a smaller dealer who sells mostly Yammies and Beta trials bikes. He has sold like 2 of the 300RR and nothing else of the dirt bikes and really doesn't have the support or knowledge and this has been nagging in the back of my mind a bit. I've even been leaning towards a Husky even though I would have to buy out of town BUT the local KTM guys have told me that would support me as much as possible. I might be placing to much importance on this but it is influencing my decision.

Anyway, your write ups and videos are IMO as good as taking one of these bikes for a long term test ride which unless you work for a shop is not going to happen for the average person. You have moved the Beta's to the top of my list and please DO NOT start reviewing any Husky's cus I will then have to curse you for making my decision even harder :)

And I'll add to one of your first comments - we are living in an amazing time for off road bikes options in general.

Everything else I posted before I watched you video.

And for the love of god which ever god you believe in, PLEASE DO NOT do a review on a TM, Fantic or a Sherco (which I think you have)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

My personal conclusion is the KTM could have the edge for the professional racer, or a very experienced rider who is fast and hard core... but then the Beta RR300 will be the best bike for almost everyone else.   

I also conclude that, essentially KTM has a better setting out of the box for racers, while Beta needs a bit of work on it to improve at professional racing levels (e.g. revalving suspensions), but once done that they're totally comparable. That's why the "Race Edition" exists, it's more tuned for professional racing yet out of the box. Maybe mayor difference that cannot be changed too much is the motor, and there it will depend on how do you like it.

Edited by BetaRRider

By "professional racing levels" you mean the top 1% , other wise I totally disagree with this statement, and I have raced KTM's since 1992 until 2014. 

AA Jay

Edited by ktm300

I also conclude that, essentially KTM has a better setting out of the box for racers, while Beta needs a bit of work on it to improve at professional racing levels (e.g. revalving suspensions), but once done that they're totally comparable. That's why the "Race Edition" exists, it's more tuned for professional racing yet out of the box. Maybe mayor difference that cannot be changed too much is the motor, and there it will depend on how do you like it.

IMHO,

Nobody, Amateurs or Professionals would prep a bike for "racing" in structured competition events without resetting valving in the suspension, if they're focused on the podium. As there are way too many different styles of riding/riders and terrain's.

And if we are talking about the Race Editions, they still require tweaking of suspension components, nothing is perfect out of the box, and that's for any brand of bike, and if you're lucky enough to say your bike is perfect out of the box and needs nothing and this is proved by kicking ass in structured competition events, then buy a Loto ticket...

• Like 2

By "professional racing levels" you mean the top 1% , other wise I totally disagree with this statement, and I have raced KTM's since 1992 until 2014. 

AA Jay

you're right, "professional" is not the best word for this case .... I mean just "race seriously", in my opinion you can race a KTM out of the dealer's shop but cannot do that with a Beta 300RR, you need a suspension work on it, nothing that some hundreds bucks and one week on the suspension shop cannot do, anyway you will end up revalving WPs as well, so no big deal..

Want to highlight that's not a bad thing, properly worked both are comparable (as I said before). IMO that's not a problem or a disadvantage, it's just that Beta addresses the market on a different way, Beta is "The Play Bike" and KTM is the "Ready to Race", that synthesize the point.

Edited by BetaRRider
  • Like 1

Although I'm a total hack ability wise compared to the riders in the vid, I pretty much agree with the vid being as I have and ride both....

interesting point, i can't find the review but there was one that said although the sachs suspension was pretty crappy on early models, as of 2015 it's working well for everyday riders, and the marzocchis on the race edition are well suited for advanced riders. they thought it was weird though, that other reviewers were all saying the sachs would need work for riding at a competitive level... well duh.

i reckon a common problem is when professional bike reviews are done by motocross racers and the like who are pushing the boundaries when testing the bike... something 95% of us will not be doing. 

• Like 5

interesting point, i can't find the review but there was one that said although the sachs suspension was pretty crappy on early models, as of 2015 it's working well for everyday riders, and the marzocchis on the race edition are well suited for advanced riders. they thought it was weird though, that other reviewers were all saying the sachs would need work for riding at a competitive level... well duh.

i reckon a common problem is when professional bike reviews are done by motocross racers and the like who are pushing the boundaries when testing the bike... something 95% of us will not be doing. 

Or by a bunch of  inexperienced albeit fast meatheads who still live with their parents who are relied upon to provide the feedback for some no talent magazine editors.Btw. Lovely terrain, Much to good for a bunch of beer swilling former penal colony descendants who bastardized the kings english into some of the most incoherent gibberish ever uttered by man or beast. What part of Oz was that filmed at?

Edited by widebear
  • Like 3

Or by a bunch of  inexperienced albeit fast meatheads who still live with their parents who are relied upon to provide the feedback for some no talent magazine editors.Btw. Lovely terrain, Much to good for a bunch of beer swilling former penal colony descendants who bastardized the kings english into some of the most incoherent gibberish ever uttered by man or beast. What part of Oz was that filmed at?

You're going to end up in the "qoutable qoutes" in his videos, lol.

• Like 4

Accurate or inaccurate, relevant or irrelevant I like that WB. Good job! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

lol love it. definitely going in the quotable quotes. most of our rides are on private property in northern nsw or southern qld. 

I don't understand where people come up with this 'Ktm is the better racer..blah blah blah!' Ever rode a 4cs forked Ktm recently? I have ,it was Horrendous! I love how Beta parts are cheaper than Ktm, surely the Ktm parts should be cheaper being that is a hugely mass produced bike?! I lost respect to Ktm when i phone up in 2012 for parts for my 300xc- Their prices had doubled and more in price since 2009!! Insane!! Tm's are cheaper to buy new than a Ktm in the Uk. You also need to own a welder to keep the subframe from wearing out! Beta prices in the uk are much cheaper than Ktm. Long live the Beta!!!! The beta engine a peach (300rr anyway!), the 250, I would have to give that one to the pumpkin.

• Like 2