Sign in to follow this  

2003 kx250 linkage rebuild...need help!

Hey guys. I've got a 2003 kx250 and I'm gonna rebuild the linkage, but I've never done it before. I've watched a how to video by rockyMountainatvmc and I understand how to do it, but here's my main question. I ordered a pivot works rebuild kit and it came with 6 cages of bearings, but as far as I can see I'll only need 4 for the rocker arm, so where do the other 2 go? I've been trying to figure it out and don't know if it just came with 2 extras or what but I'm pretty stumped on this one. If anyone has some info on this please let me know!

Hey guys. I've got a 2003 kx250 and I'm gonna rebuild the linkage, but I've never done it before. I've watched a how to video by rockyMountainatvmc and I understand how to do it, but here's my main question. I ordered a pivot works rebuild kit and it came with 6 cages of bearings, but as far as I can see I'll only need 4 for the rocker arm, so where do the other 2 go? I've been trying to figure it out and don't know if it just came with 2 extras or what but I'm pretty stumped on this one. If anyone has some info on this please let me know!

There are three pivot points into which you will install bearings...two on the knuckle (not including the lower shock mount) and one on the dog bone......should be obvious when you take it all apart.

linkage.JPG

• Like 1

See mine doesn't have that dog bone it only has the 2 side arms that connect to the knuckle, that explains why I'll have the extra 2.

The sets go; 2 in upper link arm, 2 in lower link arm and 2 in the swing arm.

that's what I was thinking because the my bike wouldn't have anywhere else to out the last 2 cages. I just didn't want to take them out of the swing arm if they didn't go there.

If you are going through all the trouble of doing that, go ahead and change the swingarm bearings as well.  It will save you some time down the road.

• Like 1

If you are going through all the trouble of doing that, go ahead and change the swingarm bearings as well. It will save you some time down the road.

I'm gonna do the swing arm when I get that and my frame powdercoated

I'm gonna do the swing arm when I get that and my frame powdercoated

Had my frame and swing arm powdered......I saw them after sand blasting and just before color being put on.....I say polish the swing arm, blast and clear powder for the frame.....I like the way mine came out, but the raw metal "color" is way better looking.

Yah I was gonna do the frame black because of rust spots and the factory color coming off. I've seen some bikes with just the frame done and it looks pretty sweet but I think I'd like the swing arm done too. Does it hold up against chilling pretty good? I do alot of desert riding so Idk how it holds up I don't want spend the money just to have it chip or anything

Yah I was gonna do the frame black because of rust spots and the factory color coming off. I've seen some bikes with just the frame done and it looks pretty sweet but I think I'd like the swing arm done too. Does it hold up against chilling pretty good? I do alot of desert riding so Idk how it holds up I don't want spend the money just to have it chip or anything

Powder coating is pretty much baked on paint, no (or not much) different than factory paint and looks the same. After my first ride, there was paint wear, on the left upright, from leg rub. Yup, comes off that fast. When they sand blast the frame, all the rust spots come off, the frame will look new. I have one swing arm that I polished and one powdered and I like the polished one better. The powdered one looks good, just not AS good. I had, frame, swing arm, hubs and rims colored. I'd TOTALLY recommend dong the hubs if you can disassemble and re-lace your wheels. That looks sweet!

Black  :thumbsdn:

Powder coating is pretty much baked on paint, no (or not much) different than factory paint and looks the same. After my first ride, there was paint wear, on the left upright, from leg rub. Yup, comes off that fast. When they sand blast the frame, all the rust spots come off, the frame will look new. I have one swing arm that I polished and one powdered and I like the polished one better. The powdered one looks good, just not AS good. I had, frame, swing arm, hubs and rims colored. I'd TOTALLY recommend dong the hubs if you can disassemble and re-lace your wheels. That looks sweet!

Black :thumbsdn:

nice man! I'm gonna have to think about it. I've got some carbon fiber frame guards so I'm not to worried about leg rub. I was thinking about doing hubs too but Idk how to lace up wheels!