Sign in to follow this  

2010 YZ250F Clutch Problem

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 YZ250F which has a new clutch boss, clutch basket, plates, push rod, actuator arm, clutch cable and new oil of course. Bike starts up fine but when I pull in the clutch lever and shift to 1st from neutral, the bike will stall. When I attempt again, if the bike doesn't stall and goes into 1st, when I slowly begin releasing the clutch lever, the bike will move slightly but stall again. I have tried adjusting the cable to no avail. I installed the new clutch kit myself and carefully followed each step in the manual. This didn't happen before I replaced the clutch assembly so it must be linked with that. What could be causing this to happen? 

Cheers.

Edited by Kokentoe

Yeah I pulled everything apart and retraced my steps and all seems to be in order. Any ideas?

The clutch is not disengaging completely when you pull the lever. You need to recheck the cable adjustment. How much free play at the lever? You should be able to pull the lever about 1/4-1/2" before any resistance is met. Also, what oil did you use? Did you soak the fibers in oil prior to install? 
Make sure you installed all the parts correctly.Pay particular attention to the push rod area.

It's probably just the cable adjustment and heavy oil needing to be warmed up. 

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2010/YZ250F+-+YZ250FZL/CLUTCH/parts.html

Edited by davbrucas

Got an update. I spoke to a mate who knows far more about motorbikes than myself and told him what was happening. He came over, started the bike, and according to him there was nothing wrong with the clutch. He rode it down the street and back and reckons that's how every bike he has ridden is like. I noticed that he was applying throttle and releasing the clutch simultaneously where as I would slowly let out the clutch until I felt it rolling forward then apply the throttle and there were never any issues doing that with the old clutch assembly. Now it seems it has to be done the way he was doing it by giving it gas straight away otherwise it will stall. Obviously I'm no expert in the matter, but I was always under the impression that the clutch could be let out with no throttle and the bike should roll and only stall when it was fully released?