Sign in to follow this  

Any interest in swapping a 300 top end for a 250sx top end?

Been thinking about trying a 300 for a while, just seeing if anyone with a 300 would be interested in going the 250 route. My bike is a 2015 250sx with 24.2 hours. No issues, a few pics included. If interested, please pm.

20151111_180422.jpg

20151111_180432.jpg

20151111_180507.jpg

• Like 1

I rode 300s for years and decided to go the 12 250sx route since they were cheaper and I heard the motors were sweet.  I heard right, the motor was a gem and I liked it everywhere except coming around corners and finding a surprise uphill and needed a downshift where a 300 you didnt so much.  A rekluse took care of that,  There is more torque no doubt on the 300 but I found the 250 to be a very off road friendly motor except for the tall first gear. 

That is my experience with riding both.  Also my experience is you wont get many takers on the 250sx jug unless they already have a 250sx and need a jug, but that doesnt sound like it helps you if you need a 300 jug.  Check on KTMtalk classifieds for a better shot at it. 

Edited by Sycamore

I agree that the 250sx motor is sweet. After riding a 13 300xc, I was thinking of not going the 300 route, it was nice and all, but kind of chuggy, and heavy feeling, and not really much stronger. I do like the smidge of extra torque at low rpm, right out of corners, and I'm thinking of riding some mx in 16, so I think it would be better for that. It's not a must have, but if I find a trade deal, I'll give it a try.

I agree that the 250sx motor is sweet. After riding a 13 300xc, I was thinking of not going the 300 route, it was nice and all, but kind of chuggy, and heavy feeling, and not really much stronger. I do like the smidge of extra torque at low rpm, right out of corners, and I'm thinking of riding some mx in 16, so I think it would be better for that. It's not a must have, but if I find a trade deal, I'll give it a try.

Going from a real 250sx then popping on a 300sx jug isn't quite the same as the 300xc.  The 250sx crank is different then a 300xc crank.  I never tried one but I'm thinking it will feel way more zippy then chuggy.  Wish I would have tried it on mine, sounds pretty fun.

I liked the xc bottom end with 250 and SX head best.

300 top on 250 SX bottom don't lug off idle as well and even with fww will stall more.

BUT the 5 sped SX tranny is best were I ride,with 14/51 sprockets.

Going from a real 250sx then popping on a 300sx jug isn't quite the same as the 300xc. The 250sx crank is different then a 300xc crank. I never tried one but I'm thinking it will feel way more zippy then chuggy. Wish I would have tried it on mine, sounds pretty fun.

False. The crank is the same.

I LOVE my 250. I wouldn't trade it for a 300.

I put a 300sx top end on my 2012 250. Too much for me, even on a sand track. The acceleration was great but things happened too fast. I went back to the 250. Your results may vary...

I put a 300sx top end on my 2012 250. Too much for me, even on a sand track. The acceleration was great but things happened too fast. I went back to the 250. Your results may vary...

I assume you mean the 250sx and put the 300sx kit on.  I have heard that from a few guys as well.  I still would like to try it but thinking a xc or xcw crank would work better, but at that point you might as well buy the xc or xcw to begin with.  Not sure the crank would go in a sx since it doesn't have e start plus the ignition is totally different.

Edited by Sycamore