Sign in to follow this  

Blackstone Sample Result

47hrs or so on the bike. Pure for just fyi

Sample was pulled after 17hrs on the oil. The gearbox was still shifting good on the oil. Of those 17 hours, 8 was on gravel/unimproved road riding and the rest was on mild single track.  

I ran a blend of Syn 15/50 and conventional Valvoline 15-40 diesel

ktm500%20oil_zpsgoxojhdp.jpg

Edited by KAG

Your wear looks good, your fuel dilution is bad , which also killed your flash point on the oil    a 30 weight

I always run uoa's off a hot motor thats been run atleast more than an hour for accuracy.

Out of spec tps ?

Edited by Spud786

Your wear looks good, your fuel dilution is bad , which also killed your flash point on the oil    a 30 weight

I always run uoa's off a hot motor thats been run atleast more than an hour for accuracy.

Out of spec tps ?

Post yours up as it would be interesting to see others results

TPS was adjusted a couple of engine hours before sample was taken

500-15hour-800mile.jpg

800 miles , 15 hours 20w50 Valvoline      leaded fuel diet is the lead count

Edited by Spud786

I need to do another count as the bike is nearing 11,000 miles,,  the oil holding up a lot better than when I did that 1st uoa

I need to do another count as the bike is nearing 11,000 miles,,  the oil holding up a lot better than when I did that 1st uoa

I like seeing this stuff, gives it good perspective on what others are seeing

My main issue I took from mine was the silica and iron.  

What did  blackstone say about your results other than this data?

Black stones universal averages for this motor is 500 miles on a uoa

My case I was at 800 miles against the 500 mile average expectation.   They mentioned they have no history of lead use with this motor, but pointed out a nice uoa, with low to no unsolvables or wear issues.

I normally don't run a uoa till 8,000 miles, to allow motor to fully breakin,   I ran this one, cause nobody really knew much, so I needed to find out what I was dealing with.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

What did  blackstone say about your results other than this data?

This was in their comments section attached to the results:

DAVID: The amount of wear on this new engine falls in line with our averages, which are based on an oil

run of about 14 hours. We did find a high level of silicon present in your sample, which could've come from

a harmless source, such as sealers used at the factory washing out, or even additive in the oil itself. Silicon

could also point to issues with your air filter, but with wear looking good that seems unlikely. The oil has a

little fuel in it, causing the viscosity and flash point both to drop. This is still a relatively small amount though,

so no major problems are indicated. Nice bike!

• Like 2

Amsoil 10w-50 Dirt Bike, changed at 15hrs

Very hot days, technical singletrack, the fan never stopped except for some highway to connect trails

Blackstone.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Looks like an ideal report, could ask for much better.

I'm very happy with the results. I'm sold on Amsoil, I'm getting a true Group 4 for under $10/qt

On 11/18/2015 at 7:46 PM, KAG said:

47hrs or so on the bike. Pure for just fyi

Sample was pulled after 17hrs on the oil. The gearbox was still shifting good on the oil. Of those 17 hours, 8 was on gravel/unimproved road riding and the rest was on mild single track.  

I ran a blend of Syn 15/50 and conventional Valvoline 15-40 diesel

Pure speculation on my part but the slightly high Silicone & Titanium levels would have me thinking about how well I'm oiling the airfilter & sealing the airbox.

Edited by Windblown

Amsoil 10w-50 Dirt Bike, changed at 15hrs
Very hot days, technical singletrack, the fan never stopped except for some highway to connect trails
Blackstone.jpg.6e75957451ae7c29097dcbe1e8fc9845.jpg

It's all my '16 has seen since the first hour. Change every 10hrs or so here in the hot desert racing. Comes out looking like new so I know I could leave it in much longer, but it's cheap insurance imo. When I start DS riding it I'll probably go 20hrs or more between changes. What I like about the Amsoil dirt oil is the clutch feel. Very predicable and consistent no matter how many hours are on the oil.
  • Like 2