Sign in to follow this  

When can I ride again?

You got lucky. Listen to your doc! That's right at your boot top..

I did my tib-fib right at the ankle, spiral, an it wouldn't set. Did it windsurfing, of all things. I was in a cast up to my butt for a week in absolute agony before they broke down and operated.

Instant relief, until the infection set in.

Long story short, 5 ops and 10+ years later, my Xrays look like a patchwork lumpy repair job, but I still have my leg.

2x I was warned I might come out of surgery without it.

I skied for a while, but did so on one leg, left the other foot in a modified air cast. Gave it up after a while. I was getting pretty cocky, and started wondering how F'ed I'd be if I torqued my knee or something on the good leg... Tried telemark for a while, but unless conditions are GOOD, it's an accident looking for a place to happen.

Upside is, I started dirt biking again after 20+ years. I can't mountain bike, ankle is so messed up, but with ~20-30 range of motion I can ride! :ride:

• Like 1

You got lucky. Listen to your doc! That's right at your boot top..

I did my tib-fib right at the ankle, spiral, an it wouldn't set. Did it windsurfing, of all things. I was in a cast up to my butt for a week in absolute agony before they broke down and operated.

Instant relief, until the infection set in.

Long story short, 5 ops and 10+ years later, my Xrays look like a patchwork lumpy repair job, but I still have my leg.

2x I was warned I might come out of surgery without it.

I skied for a while, but did so on one leg, left the other foot in a modified air cast. Gave it up after a while. I was getting pretty cocky, and started wondering how F'ed I'd be if I torqued my knee or something on the good leg... Tried telemark for a while, but unless conditions are GOOD, it's an accident looking for a place to happen.

Upside is, I started dirt biking again after 20+ years. I can't mountain bike, ankle is so messed up, but with ~20-30 range of motion I can ride! :ride:

Holy shit

He just said when to ski but either I forgot to ask or forgot what he said :bonk:

I'm out with a broken tib & fib ( 3 fractures all together ) with the 2 dislocations 

Plated and screws - no weight for 6 weeks -  at 5 weeks mobility on scale 1-10 = is a 1 - still swollen -  wearing a boot - scared my ankle would freeze up - well it is - 

All I can say I am more worried about not riding again than if what issues I will have fort coming - 

Edited by onekawboy

Got physio??

My Physiotherapist likely saved my life.

I was in a cast (with windows, for wound dressing changes, daily...) for well over a year. Air cast was NOT an option.

Once out, a good Physiotherapist can work wonders. Shop around for one who shares YOUR vision of the future, instead of just soaking up the insurance benefits, while the patient logs time off work...

The woman who worked WITH me, was as much a psychologist as a physical therapist. I was in incredible physical and emotional pain, and was using a LOT of prescription meds.

You WILL ride again.

• Like 2

I broke my foot, had it fused. 3 months non weight bearing. PT was hell but paid off. Do what the PT says and a little bit more. You gotta drink the PT kool aid.

• Like 2

thanks guys - will listen to the PT when I get there - hoping to get one that listens and not one that thinks they know whats better for m