Sign in to follow this  

Oil volume 15' vs. 16'

Just wondering if anyone has played with the oil volume in their air side forks yet? I see that the air pressure settings 15 vs 16 are completely different and the oil volume on the air side inner chamber is at 50ml vs. 100ml in the 15. Any thoughts on this?

I've left my oil levels for the air side as is specified. But I have used a light motor oil for better lubricating properties (I think it's helped). I would imagine less oil will give you a more progressive, less harsh feeling fork, but without a valving change, you could be making the front end feel worse (more dead, unless more pressure is added). I know the '16 and '15 valving is different, so the 50 ml is probably what they find works best with the new valving. From all the feedback I've heard, the '16 setup is much better. I've been contemplating revalving mine to the new specs, but the job is probably not as easy as I'm hoping it will be.

If you're feeling adventurous, try out the lower oil volume and let us know what you think.