Sign in to follow this  

99 yz250 pwk conversion

Has anyone attempted to convert their 99 yz250 carb from the factory pwm to a pwk? After many attempts, I've failed to get my jetting dialed in and settled for slightly rich with a horrible stumble some where around half throttle. My plan was to order a new keihin pwk air striker with no power jet or tps. I realize the pwk is a slightly longer design than the pwm on my bike...would an air intake/air box from a newer model solve my fitment issues? Is a pwk38s from a newer bike compatible with my cdi, or should I just nix the power jet all together? Any input it greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fat in the Rockies

Has anyone attempted to convert their 99 yz250 carb from the factory pwm to a pwk? After many attempts, I've failed to get my jetting dialed in and settled for slightly rich with a horrible stumble some where around half throttle. My plan was to order a new keihin pwk air striker with no power jet or tps. I realize the pwk is a slightly longer design than the pwm on my bike...would an air intake/air box from a newer model solve my fitment issues? Is a pwk38s from a newer bike compatible with my cdi, or should I just nix the power jet all together? Any input it greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fat in the Rockies

What are you currently using for jetting in the bike now ?

You have a few options with the PWK. You can use the longer screw top PWK without a problem. It will fit a little tight but it shouldn't be problem. You can also buy a used shorter body PWK and use the power valve, it will work fine in your bike when connected to your wiring harness, or you can plug it if you like, and use that way as well.   JD sells both versions, or you can buy one off of Ebay. You can buy the screw top right from Honda, and it much cheaper than either of JD's carbs. The OEM jetting from Honda may actually be pretty close.

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/home.php?cat=28

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.net/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda/CR250R_A_(00)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2ME033-YM200001/CARBURETOR_(1)/CR250R-00-JPN-A/2Y14KZ3YE1AKZ3YE1200A

That bike spends most of its time at 8500 ft. Pro circuit pipe is my only deviation from stock. Most of the summer I run a 162 main, 42 pilot, stock needle in the first clip position. On technical trails it will spoog quite a bit. I ride the sand in Walden more often and the silencer tends to stay clean as I keep it on the main more often