Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop D606 rear tire - 120 or 130?

I'm about due to replace the TCK-80 rear tire on my XR650L - the front hardly looks worn.

I intend to get a Dunlop D606 for the rear this time around.  I was looking at a 130/90-18 at Cycle Gear and it sure looks big.  Will it fit on the XR650L rim and clear the swingarm and other stuff, or should I be looking for a 120/90-18?

Thanks for any experience with this.

I have run a 130 D606 and it clears the swingarm, but it's too big of a tire for the XRL. I have stopped the "bigger is better" nonsense and started running 120s. The 120 is the correct width for the XRL rear rim and works fine. The 130/90 is also a taller tire which is not what most folks are looking for considering how tall the pig is to begin with. 

Here's an old picture of my bike with a 130 D606 on it.

P7130118.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.  I've tried a 4.60 and 5.10 IRC GP-110 and found no improvement with the wider tire.  I'll order a 120 when I'm finally ready to spend $110 on a new rear tire.

Save your money and look at Kendas. I mounted up a set of Kenda Trackmasters this spring and love them. Quite a bit cheaper than Dunlops or Pirellis, they are DOT approved and they are better dirt tires (softer sidewalls) than the MTs or D606s.

IMG_20150710_191958238_HDR-1_zpsudg5lev4

How are the Kendas on the street?

I want something that works in the dirt, but still allows me to run a quick pace on twisty roads.

I have to ride at least 40 miles just to get to the good dirt and I want to enjoy that part of the ride too.  I have a set of Kenda 761's right now and I won't get another set of those because they don't feel right to me on the street.

Edited by ScottRNelson

I've used the larger 130 and 140 sizes and even a terrorflex, unless you need the extra float over sand or dig into the mud, no reason to trade off handling. Tradeoff with the 'flex was pretty severe.

Terraflex in sandpits on an XR650L, now that's a hill-climbing machine!

How are the Kendas on the street?

I want something that works in the dirt, but still allows me to run a quick pace on twisty roads.

I have to ride at least 40 miles just to get to the good dirt and I want to enjoy that part of the ride too.  I have a set of Kenda 761's right now and I won't get another set of those because they don't feel right to me on the street.

get some Michelin T63's. Surprisingly good on both wet and dry asphalt.  

I aam a big fan of the kenda trackmaster rear and yes, it is a real knobbie. I feel comfortable leaning it over on the pavement but it is a dirt tire. I do not like the trackmaster front, I feel it is washy and unpredictable on loose stuff and mud. You can get used to it but I dont feel tires are something you should have to adapt to. The rear however is a great tire and I dont even consider others, I just buy another trackmmaster.

The MT21 rear is on my list of the worst rear dirt tires ever. The MT21 front is on my short list as the BEST front tire in the dirt. 

The MT21 rear is on my list of the worst rear dirt tires ever. The MT21 front is on my short list as the BEST front tire in the dirt. 

Oh will you stop.....I`ve run a pile of MT21 rears and they are no worse than the D606..

I ran a full knobby for a month last year because it was all I could get,,,i could almost see the knobs flyin off in my mirror,, :lol:  :lol:

Unfortunately the MT21 and D606 are the only tires so far that I don`t peel knobs off,,,going for a 1 hour ride and coming back to a ruined tire is NOT impressive..

B

• Like 1

:lol: Riding style I suppose :ride:  I suspect that you spend more time in the top third of the throttle range where I favor the first third. I'm old and break easily :(

:lol: Riding style I suppose :ride:  I suspect that you spend more time in the top third of the throttle range where I favor the first third. I'm old and break easily :(

:lol:

um.......maybe..but I rarely see mud so that may be it too.....now f`in rocks,i see all the time,,god I hate rock trails,,but I hate mud more so I guess I`m buggered.. :banghead:

B

:lol:

um.......maybe..but I rarely see mud so that may be it too.....now f`in rocks,i see all the time,,god I hate rock trails,,but I hate mud more so I guess I`m buggered.. :banghead:

B

Rocky trails are not my thing either. Most the trails that I like to ride, I first rode in the mid 70's so I have a fair amount of seat time on them and tend to be pretty critical of "feel". The best rear tire that I have found to date is the Dunlop D952. They were not expensive (you know I am CHEAP) and they just flat worked. My favorite combo was the MT21 front and the D952 rear. I think Dunlop stopped making them though as they are hard to find and they were not a DOT tire. The Kenda K760 Trackmaster has nearly the same tread pattern as the D952 and it behaves pretty much the same. The K760 is a DOT tire so it may well be my holy grail of rear tires. I have never had problems with chunking knobs on any tire so I can't vouch for the durability of any tire in that respect. I have always been a fan of barely street-legal dirt bikes so I am used to riding knobs on the street. Give the cagers a bit more space because I KNOW I can't stop on a dime.  :(

If you don't worry about DOT the IRC lineup is pretty good, I think the VE33's.

The XCMH rear is a really good dirt/mud DOT.

So now the K760 is good too?

I see about $23 difference between that and the D606 at RockyMountain.  The size of the knobs on the Dunlop look like they would work better on the street with less squirm.  For some reason I was sure I couldn't find one for less than $109 last week, but I see $86 right now.

I had better order one.  I just swapped wheels and I don't want to put my rather worn TKC-80 back on again, so now is a good time to get a replacement tire.  Surprisingly the front TKC-80 barely looks worn, so I'll keep that one.

There are soooo many better tires than the 606, that tire is garbage off road, most dual sport guys around her run the Maxxis Desert IT, not DOT legal but awesome off road and handles well on the street, for the money they Kenda K760 does well too, just doesn't last like the Maxxis