Sign in to follow this  

Gear for a noob

I just bought a bike and am going to start riding again after 25 years off the bike. I'll be doing trail riding here in Michigan (no motocross). Now that I have the bike squared away I need to start looking at riding gear.

Obviously I'll need helmet, boots, gloves and goggles. I'll probably pick up some pants. Back when I rode in the 80s I think the pants had knee protection in them in the form of small plastic shells. It doesn't look like they do that anymore, at least not the the ones I've looked at so far. So is adding some kind of knee protection a good idea? What about a chest protector? Good idea or overkill?

Thanks!

Doc

• Like 1

always chest protector!!! and knee guards once i had chill ride with my dad on my 450f mx bike was 5th gear open and hit rock got kicked off road and crashed in tree broke my guard but sadly i didnt had chest guard hit my stomac so hard codlnt breath right for 3 days! good that nothing was broken but broke my hand tho in 2 places. only time rided without full gear trust me use it!! 

I just bought a bike and am going to start riding again after 25 years off the bike. I'll be doing trail riding here in Michigan (no motocross). Now that I have the bike squared away I need to start looking at riding gear.

Obviously I'll need helmet, boots, gloves and goggles. I'll probably pick up some pants. Back when I rode in the 80s I think the pants had knee protection in them in the form of small plastic shells. It doesn't look like they do that anymore, at least not the the ones I've looked at so far. So is adding some kind of knee protection a good idea? What about a chest protector? Good idea or overkill?

Thanks!

Doc

Yea.. get knee protection for sure.. there are so many choices these days.. from $15 to $600 . The one I use is around $90 bucks but you can just get the cheap one to start.. it's the one with a shin guard and knee cap together with some velcro elastic straps that go around your calves. Get a chest protector too and everything else you mentioned.. we are older now and our reflexes aren't what they were so now it's a matter of time and for sure i will go down.. it's just a matter of softening the blow a bit. You may also think of elbow guards. It's hotter and a little bulkier but I love falling and it not hurting as much.  There are a bunch of discount prices for a lot of items on internet shops ..ebay etc.. problem is this is your first time back so it's probably better to find a local  or a few local shops to shop around for fit for each item. I now wear over the boot riding pants now... but when I first tried some brands on.. some of them would ride up my ass.. can't tell till you try them on.. screw that. .. ended up that shift made pants that fit me right..now I'm using KLIM brand .. you'll figure out what works better as you ride more. Same goes for helmets.. the shape of a persons head and the sizing of each brand of helmet isn't the same.. I can't fit certain brands..it's like my head and cheeks are getting smashed in certain helmets even though the size is big.. You'll have to get your first set .. ride a bit and still figure some comfort level for each item. All pretty common sense stuff but just shop around different stores in your area ..also can ask your friends what works for them .. what's shitty and what 's good etc.. welcome back to the fold!!! It's great coming back.. take your time.. don't get hurt!! It's not the same as long ago...but it's still great to be out there.

• Like 1

You can never wear too much gear.

Yes you can. :lol:

57-9970R__95900.1421300407.1280.1280.jpg

• Like 2

Falling hurts and healing is slow so gear up.  The only real constraint to getting gear is your wallet.  For instance a helmet can run you any where from just under a $100 to over $600.  The first two items I bought, helmet and boots, I have since replaced.  The helmet had zero air flow and the boots were a PITA to buckle.  Read reviews here and try on gear at your local shop to see what works for you.  One last piece of advice is to get some under armor.  It is a one piece shirt with chest, shoulder, forearm, elbow, and back protection plus a kidney belt ( on some) all in one.  That one piece of gear has saved my bacon several times.  For jersey and pants you can find sets on eBay plus there is a site that offers sets CHEAP so check them out.                    

I heard the Mohawks give you 10 more hp. 12 if it matches the color of your bike

17 hp if it matches your powerband color too.

Anyways, back on topic. What is your budget? Dropping a little more cash on a quality pair of boots is worth it in my opinion.

Edited by EatMaRoost
  • Like 1

i never leave home without my neck brace, i can't tell you how many people i know saved from them (myself included). i use a leatt gpr club 4 or something like that, i got it from btopowersports. they are designed to take the force from the neck and transfer it to the collar bones. my buddy dustin broke his collar bone a couple weeks back but isn't paralyzed and can still eat and poop on his own.

also don't cheap out on a helmet, think of how much you like your functioning brain. i look for how light, how sturdy, and air flow. also to make my liner last longer i wear a dew rag under my helmet.

boots id say just make sure they are comfortable, i finally went and spent big money on boots and i love them, but wouldn't appreciate them if i didn't have my shitty ones before them.

chest protector, i got some 80 dollar fox chest thing, i figure it i break it it isn't the end of the world to replace, and it isn't uncomfortable. same idea for goggles, just make sure they feel comfortable inside the helmet.

i don't wear elbow guards, i feel like i ride worse with them, and i have knees pads from TLD not knee guards. They are a stiff foam and they take a fall well i just don't want to run into a low hanging branch or root, but i ride mainly mx or sand, w/ the occasional singe tracks.

Safe ridings. I honestly could care less what people think of me, i like being able to go to work on monday.

Falling hurts and healing is slow so gear up. The only real constraint to getting gear is your wallet. For instance a helmet can run you any where from just under a $100 to over $600. The first two items I bought, helmet and boots, I have since replaced. The helmet had zero air flow and the boots were a PITA to buckle. Read reviews here and try on gear at your local shop to see what works for you. One last piece of advice is to get some under armor. It is a one piece shirt with chest, shoulder, forearm, elbow, and back protection plus a kidney belt ( on some) all in one. That one piece of gear has saved my bacon several times. For jersey and pants you can find sets on eBay plus there is a site that offers sets CHEAP so check them out.

You definitely get what you pay for, but helmets and gear are like fine wine.. you reach a point of diminishing return. The price gets so high for only a little more quality and refinement.

Somewhere in the middle is a good balance. I bought a Fox V2 helmet for $180 online on closeout, and my Gaerne SG10 boots were $330. Why spend so much more for so little more benefit on the SG12s?

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

I recommend spending a bit extra on boots for example. cheep boots won't last, buckles will break and will have stiff souls. I would look into alpinstars tech 5s or 7s as they are at a good price and will last much longer than cheap boots