Sign in to follow this  

Bad stumble / stutter from nowhere

My drz sm has developed a very bad stutter/ stumble , at steady throttle it feels like it almost dies then comes back it sometimes back fires a little too this happens in all gears at about 1inch from the closed position, it has run fine for over 5k , I removed the air box cover & it improves the throttle response but the stutter/ stumble is still there . The only 2 things that changed were the rear sprocket from a 39 t to a41 & the weather here droped about 20 f this week but it's still in the low 70s any input is greatly apricated Specs are. Cw 440 bb , stg 1hot cams , full yoshimora exhaust , drz e carb 155 main jet , 45 pilot jet , ocemp needle clip 3 , 2.25 turns on the fs , 65 starter jet , 60 pilot air jet , 200 main air jet bike has been ok for the last 5k then this came out of nowhere

In advance thanks for taking the time to help me out

Sound like fuel starvation. Still running stock vacuum petcock? Could be some build up somewhere in the carb.

Bikes been running ok for 5 k has a raptorpetcock

So today I filled up my tank & put some sea foam in it , swapped out my air filter for a K&n and turned in my fuel screw 3/4 of a turn to lean out my pilot jetting & went for a ride , bike was the same at first , after about 50 mile it was way better ( I kept going back to were the stutter was 50 to 60 in 5th gear , each time it got a little better ) filled up my tank again & headed home on the way I put my fuel screw back to 2 1/4 turns out by the time I got home ( about 200 miles ) all was good again so I swapped my air filter back & it stayed ok , so Im thinking I must have had some sort of blockade in the pilot jet ?

Lean & lean.

Bike is running ok again now , when I was trying to sort out the low end stutter I removed the air box cover , definitely had better throttle response ? So was thinking of raising the clip from 4 to 3 (lowering the needle) to lean out the mid range what do you think ,? I'm Usually around 1000 - 4000 ft asl thanks for your input ( my first post states the needle clip is 3 , it's not its 4 ) sorry for the misstake Edited by peter
  • Like 1

Bike is running ok again now , when I was trying to sort out the low end stutter I removed the air box cover , definitely had better throttle response ? So was thinking of raising the clip from 4 to 3 (lowering the needle) to lean out the mid range what do you think ,? I'm Usually around 1000 - 4000 ft asl thanks for your input ( my first post states the needle clip is 3 , it's not its 4 ) sorry for the misstake

Yeah, try clip 3.  And 2 turns out on fuel screw.

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 1

Yeah, try clip 3.  And 2 turns out on fuel screw.

Took the top off the carb tis morning & it was on clip 3 ( sorry ) put it on 2 & the bike runs a lot better epically when I'm up between 3000 - 5000 asl I live at 1000 ft asl the bike definitely runs better on clip 2 all round

Again thanks for your input mate

• Like 1

Took the top off the carb tis morning & it was on clip 3 ( sorry ) put it on 2 & the bike runs a lot better epically when I'm up between 3000 - 5000 asl I live at 1000 ft asl the bike definitely runs better on clip 2 all round

Again thanks for your input mate

Cool...I've had my share of jetting issues.  :smashpc:  No expert, just gotta try different things till it works.  Glad it's working out. 

BTW my mods are extremely similar to yours, right down to the gearing.  I love the bike !!

Oh and if you haven't done suspension yet...DO IT !   :worthy:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Cool...I've had my share of jetting issues.  :smashpc:  No expert, just gotta try different things till it works.  Glad it's working out. 

BTW my mods are extremely similar to yours, right down to the gearing.  I love the bike !!

Oh and if you haven't done suspension yet...DO IT !   :worthy:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Suspension is all stock , got it set up a while back by Dax , sports bike suspension tuning San diego was the best thing I ever did to my bike , now has 29,500 k on it , also have a vfr 800 but I love my little drz getting the suspension set up was defiantly the best bang for my $ I have spent , night & day difference is a term that's used a lot with drz mods , 3x3 , hot cams , yoshimora exhaust, fcr carb , bb kit , I've done all these but getting my suspension set up was truly night & day
  • Like 1