Sign in to follow this  

leaky clutch cover

Has anyone ever used HondaBond or a similar product on a clutch cover gasket. My buddy bought a ebay Tusk gasket and put it on and it leaked right away he said. He did tell me that with a flashlight he could see a little bubbling from the very top of the gasket. But only slightly. I did tell him to buy OEM but he didnt listen. It was 30 bucks, and hell for that price i wouldnt have bought one either! 

Anyway just wondering about the sealant. The manual did not specify to use any.....but it........also told me to torque em' to 87 ft-lb........so that was a lie. Ive been riding and repairing bikes for awhile and havnt used sealant on that particular component. Any experience would be awesome. 

Doing this tomorrow regardless. Ill post my results.

Using a sealant is just a cure for the symptoms, not the disease. The best thing is to buy a new OEM gasket.

I found this right here in the TT store:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?manufacturer=3∂=11061-0259

Also:

No! 87 ft/lbs?

Inch pounds!

As my physics professors would say, "watch your units!"

Edited by CincoBoy

Also.

Used the HondaBond 4. Cleaned everything and reused everything. Didnt leak. My buddy said it was definitely leaking well beyond full warm-up before. So.....thanks again CincoBoy for that link.

I don't utilize the offers on this sight nearly enough and its a dam shame.   

2010 Kx450f

Also.

The manual does stat the correct torque spec for the clutch cover bolts in a different section.

But under the clutch section, its in the text, 87 ft-lb dammit.

I just checked and you are absolutely correct. Page 6-8 does indeed say 87 ft*lb, however on page 6-3 (right after the exploded view), it says 87 in*lb.

There is only one bolt that even approaches 87 ft*lb, and that's the rear axle bolt at 81 ft*lb.

Just let him know that for future reference every time it says "87" it's referring to in*lb. I think almost every crank case and engine cover bolt is 87 in*lb (edit: almost every bolt with an 8mm head is 87 in*lb).

Edited by CincoBoy

I just checked 

Haha. Good form. 

I really just think its cool when I find that stuff. My Ltr450 manual has section of Japanese writing. Same with one of my 426 manuals. Just cool and funny.