Sign in to follow this  

Full Mod Video for my TTR 230

So I finally finished up with my "fixing" the stock bike...WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

I took video footage of all the important parts and problems that I encountered along the way, and then I do a ride at the end.

I'm still considering regearing again in the near future. Right now I went from a 13/49 to a 14/49, but I really wanna see what a 14/46 feels like!

Anyway, here's the video:

Here's the cliffs:

0:00 - Why I'm doing these mods
3:54 - Sound Check with stock exhaust and baffle in (fully corked)
4:10 - Changing the C/S Sprocket
4:15 - Removing chain by opening master link
5:07 - About chain press tool
9:05 - Adjusting chain tension/aligning rear wheel
12:19 - Carb Rejetting
15:25 - Airbox Mod
19:27 - Headlight Kit Installation
22:00 - Finished Bike and Start-up
24:50 - Ride through woods
25:52 - Ride on street
26:23 - Final Thoughts

Enjoy, and thanks a lot for all the help on this forum!
Edited by Irishman301
  • Like 1

Holy s***!!!

I actually LOVE this bike now!!!

First impression of when I first got this bike home was "Um...wtf? This is a b**** bike." I obviously didn't get a chance to try it out at the shop, but I ASSUMED that because it was a 2-wheeled motor vehicle, that it would have a certain built-in "badassness" to it. I mean, even the slowest motorcycles have a certain badassery to them that allows them to beat most cars off the line. But not with the stock TTR230. Nope, it was a very wimpy sounding and slow bike. It was my first dirt bike, but not my first motorcycle.

Although this is my first dirt bike, I've still ridden friends' dirtbikes a bunch of time, and I was VERY unhappy with the bike's performance in comparison to what I thought a dirtbike should feel like.

I took the bike out a few times for a few full days of riding (mud, hill climbs, train tracks, main roads, etc.), and ya it was cool having a dirtbike to whip around on...But I still felt that it was a little b**** bike, and I REALLY was just not happy.

This led me to search for "mods" to do to the bike. After doing a bunch of research, I figured out exactly what I needed to do and what parts were needed. I didn't waste any time, I wanted to get myself to the point where I was happy with my $4000 purchase!

Today was my first REAL TEST of the bike since I had more time to actually try it out. HOLY S***, it's like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BIKE!!! This bike now feels how I think a dirtbike should feel. It RIPS and it SOUNDS AWESOME!! Wheelies are easy in first, second, and third (especially second because you can now ride in second for so much longer).

Is this bike now gonna be able to smoke a YZ125 2-stroke? Of course not! But I wasn't expecting this bike to be something that it's not. However, now it feels like I'm actually riding a f***ing DIRT BIKE and not an electric scooter :). The stock bike feels like a quiet little electric scooter. The "uncorked" and regeared bike sounds and feels like a dirt bike. 

In my opinion, this bike has all the power that is necessary for your average "weekend warrior" who likes to rip around the woods and up and down the train tracks (me). I'm not looking to race, nor am I looking to have the fastest bike out of anyone in my area. I'm just looking to have a sweet ass reliable dirt bike, and now I have one!

To all you TTR230 riders that are still riding stock, it's HIGHLY recommended that you uncork and regear it!!

Within the next week or so I'm going to be picking up a Go Pro camera so I can take some rider POV footage. I wanna show how this thing rides on the main roads, through the woods, up hills, etc.

• Like 2

Good to hear that your project is meeting all your expectations!

Proof that you don't always need a race bike for a week-end trail warrior, quite often simpler is better.

Simple air cooled engines have their place in such usage, unfortunately many mix up what they want

rather than what they need and end up with the wrong bike for their application.

The more I ponder getting a second trail only bike to compliment my current YZ125 MX'er, although either a YZ250FX, WR250F or even a BETA X-Trainer would be very nice

I often come to the conclusion that a TT-R or CRF230F with a few choice mods would be more economical, more bulletproof, less maintenance and in the end just as fun.

You just have to keep in mind that these bikes do have limitations when outside of their designed usage or pushed beyond their mechanical capabilities.

Edited by mlatour

Yup this bike is now exactly what I was looking for in a dirt bike (still gonna try the 14/46 gear combo though just to compare)!

I often come to the conclusion that a TT-R or CRF230F with a few choice mods would be more economical, more bulletproof, less maintenance and in the end just as fun.

You just have to keep in mind that these bikes do have limitations when outside of their designed usage or pushed beyond their mechanical capabilities.

My thoughts exactly! It was the "low maintenance" part that I read in all the review that I really liked. That, and the fact that it was half the price of the race bikes.

I assume you mean that it's not built for huge jumps. That I know.

I don't think that uncorking and regearing is putting too much stress on the engine though (I could be wrong, but it doesn't feel like it).

Yes I meant MX'ing, big jumps and high speed manoeuvres, where such trailbikes have limitations.

I think 230F are on purpose 'corked-up' a bit to limit people from exceeding the rest of the bike's chassis limitations.

A few bolt-on mods are fine and shouldn't affect reliabilty at all, it's when I read about folks spending many thousands of dollars

on engine and suspension mods to perhap reach half the perfomance level of a 250F MX'er...

It really defeats the purpose of buying a TT-R / CRF230 in the first place,

to me those people should have initialy purchased the right bike for their usage to begin with.

Edited by mlatour

Yup agreed 100%. It's silly to spend a lot in trying to turn it into a monster race bike. Might as well just spend the extra money on buying a race bike!

The majority of the cost of my modding was due to getting the full exhaust (which sounds awesome). But the same performance gains can be achieved for less then $50 total if you wanna stick with the stock exhaust (not sure how much more the full exhaust added in comparison to just opening up the stock, but my guess is not that much).

Aside from maybe some cheap suspension upgrades, anything else is just kind of a waste of money as far as performance upgrades go.

Moral of story:

I initially regretted getting this bike

Now I'm super happy that I got this exact bike!

Aside from maybe some cheap suspension upgrades, anything else is just kind of a waste of money as far as performance upgrades go.

Well done!  We often do the same sort of mods to our CRF230s and they respond just as well.  It is truly amazing what is lurking inside these mild-mannered air-cooled two-valve engines.  My bone-stock CRF230 was a miserable weak example that made less power than an old XR200.  After the mods like yours it really woke up.

Contact Bruce Triplett at Bruce's Suspension.  He does a lot of our CRF230s and can help you out.  I use his forks and they are awesome.  Better than Race Tech Cartridge Emulators for my needs.  He revalves our CRF@30 shocks and uses a high-flow aftermarket piston.  He may be able to do the same for you or he may have a Hagon shock that fits the TT-R230.

http://brucessuspension.net

Bruce's Suspension Service

350 Skysail Road

Salisbury, NC 28146

(704) 637-3675

Edited by VortecCPI

Yes I meant MX'ing, big jumps and high speed manoeuvres, where such trailbikes have limitations.

I think 230F are on purpose 'corked-up' a bit to limit people from exceeding the rest of the bike's chassis limitations.

A few bolt-on mods are fine and shouldn't affect reliabilty at all, it's when I read about folks spending many thousands of dollars

on engine and suspension mods to perhap reach half the perfomance level of a 250F MX'er...

It really defeats the purpose of buying a TT-R / CRF230 in the first place,

to me those people should have initialy purchased the right bike for their usage to begin with.

Right on radical engine mods, but not on suspension work. Spending $1,000 on suspension work and the right springs makes me perfectly happy with my mild old tech 4 strokes.  Stock suspension would make me go to a WR or similar, which I don't really need or want to spend the Xtra money on.  DRZ with ohlins rear and tuned front is a real difference maker to me.  I'll spend $500 on the TTR getting gold valves for the front and the cheapest WP shock for the rear and it will keep him happy with the bike for many years.  

Edited by MindBlower