Sign in to follow this  

No oil on XR650R dipstick

Needed to replace right side crankcase cover. I swapped oil pump, new gasket for case, kick shaft seal and bearing. Put oil filter in the correct way. Now for the problem. Zero oil on stick after adding 1.7 qts of Honda GN4 10w40. Added enough to make it 2 full qts. Poured it in the frame without having to kick over to get it into crankcase. No oil on stick after letting it idle for 8 minutes then checking. Dipstick in like new and has not been cut. Motorcycle has about 5 hours on it total. There were punch marks on outer rotor and inner rotor. But cant get them to time. OEM service manual says nothing about timing oil pump. I am out of options. Can somone hook a brother up with any ideas that might cause my dilema?

Edited by El Viejo

Is oil being pumped?

When I had my XR650L engine rebuilt, it took quite a bit of work to get the oil pump primed and properly pumping oil.  I dumped about a quart into the top of the engine and another quart into the frame, then had to fill up the oil filter, THEN apply internal air pressure to get it to flow.  I wrote about it a few months ago.

To tell if you have oil flow, you loosen one of the banjo bolts on an oil line between the base and the head.  Once oil starts pumping out, you can start the engine then try spraying oil all over your garage when you loosen it again just to be sure. ;)