Sign in to follow this  

new gearing wheel spacing

Did you put a new chain on too? Never seen an axle that far back with 14/48 and stock chain. With the axle back that far it will change up the geometry a little, make wheelies slightly (very slightly) harder at speed, make the bike more stable at speed, but not quite as nimble in the technical stuff. With 14/48 or 14/50 I'd recommend 116 links which would put the axle in the middle of the swing arm when properly adjusted.

Too far is when you loose the ability to adjust your chain.  Moving the wheel backward helps your straight line stability, like oldfuddy mentioned you loose a little in really tight stuff but overall I find it as an improvement over a more forward wheel position.

• Like 1

Did you put a new chain on too? Never seen an axle that far back with 14/48 and stock chain. With the axle back that far it will change up the geometry a little, make wheelies slightly (very slightly) harder at speed, make the bike more stable at speed, but not quite as nimble in the technical stuff. With 14/48 or 14/50 I'd recommend 116 links which would put the axle in the middle of the swing arm when properly adjusted.

I did put on a new chain with a master link I think I'm running 117 or 118 it was too slammed to take out anymore

I did put on a new chain with a master link I think I'm running 117 or 118 it was too slammed to take out anymore

I just recently installed 14/48 sprockets before eventually going to 14/50. I can tell you for sure that anything above 116 links will put you off the swing arm. 116 on my bike was perfect. It also worked great with 14/50.

• Like 1

Too far is when you loose the ability to adjust your chain.  Moving the wheel backward helps your straight line stability, like oldfuddy mentioned you loose a little in really tight stuff but overall I find it as an improvement over a more forward wheel position.

+1  My 09 EXC handles far better with the wheel back as far as I can get it. Tight singletrack is far more fun with the wheel back and 14/48. I always thought it would be better with shorter wheelbase but what I have experienced. Go long. 

Just went 14/50 today. 116 links, axle in center. Perfect. Beast.

• Like 1