2005 KX125 Build

Hi all, I'm starting this thread a little in advanced, I wont have this thing completely stripped down and start the major work for another month I'm thinking, but thought is was a good idea to start this early to hear any ones suggestions!

I picked up this 2005 KX125 without a real solid idea on what I was going to do with it, and have decided to make it my winter project. 

The pictures at first pick up don't look all to bad, but there is barley a bolt on this thing that isn't seized, snapping off ect. It did start, but didn't have much, or any compression. I pulled the cylinder already, and the plating on the exhaust porting is slightly chipping. Bottom end is surprisingly clean and tight. I don't think this bike has hundreds of of hours on it, but it had zero maintenance done throughout its entire life. 

Here's some pictures at first pick up:

IMG_20150210_161625_zps5pcqzcil.jpg

IMG_20150210_161633_zpsmbv0sk7p.jpg

IMG_20150210_161718_zps7apib4zb.jpg

IMG_20150210_161747_zpstvu4jhmk.jpg

IMG_20150210_161814_zpseo5kdnj0.jpg

IMG_20150210_161802_zpsi0koer4k.jpg

IMG_20150210_161909_zpsyj0s4mq7.jpg

IMG_20150308_162000_zps1z724y5s.jpg

IMG_20150308_163603_zpswnwh7zmr.jpg

IMG_20150308_163454_zpsvdhijogl.jpg

• Like 4

So the rough plan, which I'm sure will see some changes throughout the way. 

Strip to frame. Still unsure over silver or black for the frame.

Rebuild motor. Still unsure about leaving stock 125 with porting, or big bore.

Motor will get major cleaning, blasting, new covers(magnesium boyesen, but I'm also thinking about getting the oem custom engraved and powdered if I can figure it out), new clutch (hinson?)

Of course all bearings will be replaced.

Triple clamps either need to be swapped or powdered, I'll have to decide on the forks as well. I know these forks can be made to work ok, I also have an extra set from my 07 kx250. We'll see.

All the other regular things you all know go towards a build like this. Still working on a list and such. Obviously I'm leaving quite a bit out but will update as I go.

Here's a picture of some parts I already have for it. Few things in the picture aren't being used, like the chain and sprocket. Not sure if I'll put a steering damper on. Going to play around with different clamps. 

IMG_20150409_161358_zpsulah5t1c.jpg

Looking forward to work slowing down so I can spend some time in the garage working on this thing! Feel free to give me any ideas you might have!

Edited by small_and_fast
  • Like 6

Thanks, and yup still have the 07 250, I see me keeping that thing for a long time regardless of what other bikes come and go from my garage, favorite bike I've ever owned!

She's getting a little beat up now, but did clean up good awhile back. I'll be out riding it tomorrow if I can, have a problem foot/ankle that doesn't agree with me right now.

1447981654732.jpg

1447981690742.jpg

• Like 5

The 250 see's no mercy! And it never complains either, I would freshen it up and take it to erzberg if I could!

Still not sure what way I'll go, I've been reading about the options 125/134/144. I'm in Canada, so a lot of the US options I have to add at least 25% to the price + shipping ect. I'd love to learn more about porting myself, but think I'll leave that to someone that has experience doing it. $550 from Eric Gorr's site for either kit. I'm not sure if that changes because my current cylinder isn't in perfect shape, but there's a good chance he will end up with it.

Parts list is coming together nicely. Another order will be going in tomorrow and I'll have a good amount of what I want after that. Haven't had time to look further into port/bore ect, hopefully get more of that figured out next week, and I'll do the bottom end with OEM parts. Going to have a lot of what I need together so the build will go smoothly once really kicked off. 

I think I'm going to go with a silver powder coat for the frame. Kind of wish I got silver rims instead of the black, but I'm sure it will look just fine.

Topar makes good looking triple clamps with anodizing options. I've never powdered or painted triple clamps before, but I'd really like a more magnesium look then the silver. 

I'm leaning towards keeping the stock shock and forks and seeing how well they can work, I've read what Jeekinz has done to improve them.

image36171_zpshsqm6qto.jpg

• Like 1

The Canadian/American dollar is brutal right now. It's messing with our Canadian distributors and with what I need to order from the states. $400 triple clamps end up costing $650+ after conversion, duty, shipping ect. Ads up quick!

Was trying to see if I could get 2010 rmz pro circuit triple clamps to fit but more pain then it's worth.

Picked up plastic kit, sprockets, chain, axel blocks, and a few other things today.

Hey smv did you have a 125/144 before?

I think I may of been wrong on case clearance for my 05, I've read twice now that it does not need the case clearanced for the 144 kit. Think I'll just give EG a call on Monday to clear things up.

Here's a couple pics.

And check out the damage on the case, not sure if I can repair that or replace the right crankcase when I do the bottom end.

1448785282386.jpg

1448785297792.jpg

1448785312886.jpg

1448785333918.jpg

If you're going with Black Rims the Frame has to be Black. IMO, Rims and Bars should match the frame. Foot pegs and triple clamps should match the hubs. Like a car, It's all about the wheels.

I have an EG RM 144. I'm really happy with it. I remembered being Impressed the first time I rode it as a 144, but then got used to it pretty quick. Started taking it for granted. I was thinking I wouldn't go a 144 again. Then I rode my 125 last weekend. Yeah........ Nah, that sucked ? . 144 is much better  ? .

I'm 6/2" and around 200+lbs. Ride at sea level mostof the time. I'm getting an RM 250 engine built ATM, then I'm doing an RM 155cc.

You do know that because you have Gold Hubs you will have to get a Gold VHM head, don't you  :devil: .

You could also polish the water pump as much as possible and have that hard annoed Gold as well. That would look Cool.

Bud Racing have some nice bits for the small bores  ? .

My KX250F was Black, Gold and Red. Gold anno parts are very hard to match. Even when they are the same brand. If you have any OCD at all. It'll do your head in.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product  ? .

Edited by AddictedToBling

If you're going with Black Rims the Frame has to be Black. IMO, Rims and Bars should match the frame. Foot pegs and triple clamps should match the hubs. Like a car, It's all about the wheels.

I have an EG RM 144. I'm really happy with it. I remembered being Impressed the first time I rode it as a 144, but then got used to it pretty quick. Started taking it for granted. I was thinking I wouldn't go a 144 again. Then I rode my 125 last weekend. Yeah........ Nah, that sucked ? . 144 is much better  ? .

I'm 6/2" and around 200+lbs. Ride at sea level mostof the time. I'm getting an RM 250 engine built ATM, then I'm doing an RM 155cc.

You do know that because you have Gold Hubs you will have to get a Gold VHM head, don't you  :devil: .

You could also polish the water pump as much as possible and have that hard annoed Gold as well. That would look Cool.

Bud Racing have some nice bits for the small bores  ? .

My KX250F was Black, Gold and Red. Gold anno parts are very hard to match. Even when they are the same brand. If you have any OCD at all. It'll do your head in.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product  ? .

Awesome response thanks! Appreciate the input, I've seen some of your builds before, always look great.

Just looked into the VMH head, going to see if I can find a Canadian distributor  :D

I got the boyesen waterpump already in magnesium color. I love the magnesium colors and anodized brown.

I sent an email to Bud last week, those are the triples I'm interested in, and the silencer. Just have to double the price to get it to me!

Here's a couple other KX's that I've found that I liked

s1200_IMG_1072_zps8pj6fj4w.jpg

2stroke_kawasaki_zps9vy3eqll.jpg

• Like 3

Hey smv did you have a 125/144 before?

I think I may of been wrong on case clearance for my 05, I've read twice now that it does not need the case clearanced for the 144 kit. Think I'll just give EG a call on Monday to clear things up.

Here's a couple pics.

And check out the damage on the case, not sure if I can repair that or replace the right crankcase when I do the bottom end.

Yes sir I did. I bought a used 2001 KX 144 after my 250 to see if both bikes is what I needed. I was not sure who did the work or what 144 kit was used. It was a super fun bike, it was like riding a mtn bike with a motor. I just was not good enough of a rider to make it work where I ride. I was 240lbs at the time and every ride up in the high country (8k ASL or higher) I felt like I was slowly killing her. Too big of a dude and not enough skill to keep her WFO all the time to keep her on the pipe. My skills have improved since the 144 a lot but still not sure if I could ride her right in my neck of the woods.

Looks good smv thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit triple clamps from a 09-15 450, using the forks from either my 125 or the extra set of 07 250 forks I have?

From what I'm reading it looks like the top clamp would be to small to accept the 2 stroke fork.

Asking because I have a line locally on some nice triple clamps off the newer 450.

Thanks.

Looks good smv thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit triple clamps from a 09-15 450, using the forks from either my 125 or the extra set of 07 250 forks I have?

From what I'm reading it looks like the top clamp would be to small to accept the 2 stroke fork.

Asking because I have a line locally on some nice triple clamps off the newer 450.

Thanks.

Im running 2015 250f clamps on the 05 kx 250. the clamps fit without any modification other than added a steering stop to the front of the frame, I'm not sure about the upper fork diameter though. 

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 1.14.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 1.14.29 PM.png

250.jpg

Im running 2015 250f clamps on the 05 kx 250. the clamps fit without any modification other than added a steering stop to the front of the frame, I'm not sure about the upper fork diameter though. 

Thanks for the pics, your bike looks awesome!

So your running 2015 forks and clamps together then, not running your oem forks correct?

Thanks for the pics, your bike looks awesome!

So your running 2015 forks and clamps together then, not running your oem forks correct?

Yea im using the full front end off of a 15. I think the top portion on the stock forks is slightly larger