Sign in to follow this  

Calling all radiator experts

I'm trying to find experts on cooling and radiators. Exactly how importantant are fins per inch on a radiator? I replaced a 20 fins per inch radiator with a 15 fins per inch radiator on my rv (motorhome) this is all that is available as a replacement. Some guy on another forum is saying this is gonna be a big problem, and that hes been through this already. but this is all that is available for the rv in question. Oem is no longer available. Its a long story...can anybody tell me how important this is? Thanks In advance.

If you're already done the work, I'd suggest driving it until it gets up to temp, then letting it sit and idle.  Best case scenerio would be in a blacktop parking lot on a sunny day in August, but we're past that.  Watch the temp gauge and see what happens.

I agree^^ what you could also do is get a heat gun and measure heat that way also....I'm pretty sure their are specialty tool that can measure your oil temp and coolant temp while the car is running. Just a suggestion

I'm trying to find experts on cooling and radiators. Exactly how importantant are fins per inch on a radiator? I replaced a 20 fins per inch radiator with a 15 fins per inch radiator on my rv (motorhome) this is all that is available as a replacement. Some guy on another forum is saying this is gonna be a big problem, and that hes been through this already. but this is all that is available for the rv in question. Oem is no longer available. Its a long story...can anybody tell me how important this is? Thanks In advance.

try it and see how it goes! And if you can't find oem, you can get a custom aluminum radior (meant for racecars) built to spec. I got one for a 12v cummins swap I did in an 82 chev.

If the core is the same size your fine,

I like your optimism. Is there a reason why you believe this? I assume you know from prior experience.

I like your optimism. Is there a reason why you believe this? I assume you know from prior experience.

For some vehicles there are different radiator options and have different cooling capacities. Look at the thickness of the core ,so if the one you removed was 2" thick and you installed a 1"thick radiator you would lose cooling capacity. The thickness would be an indication of tube quantity and size.

P1060434.jpg

DatsunZX-Radiator-Cores.jpg

Edited by mec500