Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR650R or KTM 690 Enduro R

Hi all! This question has been asked but it was way back when.

I'm about to buy a new (for me) bike. 

I've done endless research and narrowed my options down to: DRZ400s, KTM 690 Enduro ®, Honda XR650R and BMW Xchallenge.

As you can see I'm looking for the lightest big singles and the reason for this is that ill be doing a lot of thick sand, mud and the likes type of riding. 10min to work and another 10 back on tar everyday. Open gravel, sand, muddy terrain every weekend and long holidays up in Africa.

Found two bikes for sale:

KTM 690 enduro R, 2011 model, 30 000km, with a few extras for R43000 (3050 USD)

Honda XR650R, 2005 model, 11500km, loads of extras, already roadworthy, bike in mint condition R55000 (3890 USD)

Which one of the two would you choose? (keep in mind that here in SA both honda and Ktm are plentiful)

Attached are two photos of the bikes.

honda.PNG

ktm.PNG

Personally would pick the XR650 due to price, low maintenance, and gobs of torque. Obviously a little heavy and lacking in suspension but they're great for the money

I didn't like drz400s on sands at all when I had it, XChallange don't know, didn't look much offroad worthy to me, XR650R I like it a lot in sands, a little sluggish in mud and needs some suspension mods, drz was a little easier to handle in mud but not much, still heavy and not enough low end power.

I liked 690 enduro I test rode a lot.. on pavement, it's a great SM, not so much offroad but with some getting used to it could be good enough, great top end power, not so much low end power though, I decided to keep the pig, XR650R is much easier to handle in sands when just resprung for the weight, simple as an axe, not much to worry about, 690 would be better for showing off but I don't meet a lot of people out in the middle of nowhere I like to ride anyway.

The price on that KTM is tempting though, if I didn't know how XR650R handles I would certainly consider the newer still produced and more powerful 690, just be ready that you will need to have spare rocker arms and fuel pumps ready, also a programmer would be nice. And a manual. 

Edited by MCVL

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I've decided that my heart is calling for the brp...

Flying about 700km to buy it over the weekend and ride it back home as initiation.. Will upload some photos when I'm back!