Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Michigan trails question

I'm starting to ride again after taking 25 years off the bike. I want to start out ultra easy until I can start getting some experience on the bike. Can anyone recommend some really easy trails in the lower peninsula?

I pick up my bike tomorrow and would really love to get a ride in before the snow flies. I know we're are supposed to stay off the trails during deer season. I think firearm deer season ends Dec 1, correct? But then I think bow and muzzle loader open up. Is it OK to ride the trails in December or is it still off limits?

Thanks!

Doc

Where are you located?  There are several trails that are easier than others, it would be good to be able to recommend one closer to you.

Riding after Dec. 1 is OK.  Very few hunters after firearm season and there is no legal prohibition.  

Are you considering riding alone?  With the short days and low overnight temperatures it would be risky to have a problem miles from the truck.  I recommend finding someone to ride with that can help you get out of the woods if you need it.  Plus you'll have someone to help with your rusty riding skills to get you up to speed quicker.

I'm in the Clarkston area (NW Oakland county). My sister has a place up near East Tawas but I don't mind taking a weekend trip anywhere in the lower peninsula.

Yeah, you're probably right about not riding solo. I'll have to work on that.

Thanks!

Doc

Doc,

Ambrose Lake Trail is 2 hrs from Clarkston and 1 hr from East Tawas.  I used this trail once before to introduce new riders to riding trails.  It was perfect for that, not a lot of deep sand, woops or anything too difficult.   It's a good trail to work on skills without being overwhelming, but still fun. It is an AVT trail which is 50" wide so there no narrow gaps between trees to pass through. Denton Creek trail is another that would be a good starter trail.  With a little seat time trails like this will seem pretty mundane.

Here are a couple links that will help to find Ambrose Lake Trail and getting to know more about MI's trails.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_14793_55471-38330--,00.html#st_helen_trail_and_route

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/michigan_07062/ride_017e.htm

If you can ride during the week and the weather isn't polar I might be up for a day trip.  The family's bikes are done foe the season but I'm not ready to give it up yet.  

TB

• Like 1

Thanks TB!  That is exactly the advice I was looking for.  And 2 hours makes it an easy trip.  I'll shoot you a PM if I can make it out.   The weather looks like it's taking a serious turn for the worse this weekend.  I'm hoping maybe we get a some dry days in December that aren't too outrageously cold.  I also have to get riding gear yet which I'll start working on next week.

I pick up the bike today (hopefully).  We've got a lot of dirt roads around here (for southeast Michigan).  The bike is plated.   I'll probably go out next week if the weather cooperates and and break it in and just get used to it on the dirt roads.  

Half of me thinks I'm crazy buying a new bike now on the cusp of winter, but I suspect had I waited until spring that the deals wouldn't have been there or the bike(s) I was interested in wouldn't have been available.  It's going to be a long winter with a new bike sitting in the garage!!!

I'm a mountain bike racer...  We typically can't start riding in the spring until the ground is very dried out.   It varies from year to year but generally it's mid to late april.   How early do people start hitting the trails on dirt bikes?

Thanks!

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Well least in winter you have time to tear it down. New or used, its worth taking stuff apart. For a new bike, its better greasing yourself then what comes on them...in my experience with brand new bikes they may skimp a little on the grease. Helped a buddy set up his new 14 yz450 and I took linkage apart to find very little grease in there. Of course used, its all bout finding out what it may need you didnt know it did. I assumed this was a new bike by the "break it in" statement.

Anyhow, if we happen to head back over to Muskegon area again in December (weather permitting), I will let ya know. It is probably a lil further for you then Ambrose since it's 2hr 30mins or so for me from Novi area. That area has some decent trails though...Cedar Creek has a few different loops and the one doesn't have a lot of REALLY deep sand. Any way you cut it this time of year tho, even the not sandy trails are going to have mud which can be more treacherous then sand if not handled correctly. Plus, leaves down this time of year hide rocks/roots which can quickly shoot you off the trail. So if you go out, just take er easy at first....those lil deflections off unseen objects or squirrley in the mud are obviously a lot more of a problem at higher speed haha.

You know anyone with any property you could get in the dirt with it on ...if nothing else? 

Im going to assume you have no interest in track riding after so much time away and a plated bike which i doubt is a MX bike..but, michigan mafia mxc is in flint which wouldnt be too far for you and open all winter (indoor, arenacross'ish). If they have weekday openings, itd likely be very few people if you wanted to least get on it and roll the jumps, try the corners, etc. Keep in mind that is pretty tight and there are those columns holding up the roof haha.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Doc,

Ambrose Lake Trail is 2 hrs from Clarkston and 1 hr from East Tawas.  I used this trail once before to introduce new riders to riding trails.  It was perfect for that, not a lot of deep sand, woops or anything too difficult.   It's a good trail to work on skills without being overwhelming, but still fun. It is an AVT trail which is 50" wide so there no narrow gaps between trees to pass through. Denton Creek trail is another that would be a good starter trail.  With a little seat time trails like this will seem pretty mundane.

Here are a couple links that will help to find Ambrose Lake Trail and getting to know more about MI's trails.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_14793_55471-38330--,00.html#st_helen_trail_and_route

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/michigan_07062/ride_017e.htm

If you can ride during the week and the weather isn't polar I might be up for a day trip.  The family's bikes are done foe the season but I'm not ready to give it up yet.  

TB

thanks...

I would recommend Baldwin for beginners but its probably about 3 hours from Clarkston. Tin cup is a safe single track or you can ride the larger 2 track style trail. then you can ride the little "o" which is a 50 inch trail which is fun but a good learning trail. St.hellen is about 2 hrs north of Clarkston and I rode it a long time ago but always wanted to go back but its been about 10 years since I was there. Don't ride Evert single track until you get fairly confident on your machine its not an easy one.

Edited by Kaw_rider