Sign in to follow this  

2T Weighted Flywheel vs. Flywheel Weight

Just picked up my first 2T in a while, and am guessing I'll want a weighted flywheel to make it a little more manageable to a guy who has learned a lot of bad 4 stroke riding habits as of late!

My question is pretty simple - you can buy a replacement flywheel with weight on it, or you can buy the add-on weights. Which is your preference, and why? Is it moot?

What brand parts have you guys had luck with?

My new addition (although I think this is an OEM agnostic topic): 2012 YZ250

i have the gytr flywheel that is like +8oz give or take.  I like it, but at the same time it is hard to feel much of a difference.  I can tell on hard pack probably more than anything, I don't spin near as much and I get more power to the ground for sure.  My bike still stalls fairly easily if you are not perfect with the clutch but I can really lug 1st gear around with out much clutch at all in some pretty nasty terrain.

I thought about going heavier, but people say since the weight of the gytr flywheel is more centered or something like that, that the +8oz gytr  has similar effect as a slightly heavier Steahly.  IDK?  

but yeah, with the gytr my bike still hauls butt and has a solid hit.

I really don't think you could go wrong with any, its more preference than anything.  Do you like bolt on? do you need a spacer? does that matter to you?  ect...

One thing I will say with the gytr is I would consider putting a light coat of primer and paint on the weight before install. I must have got a little moisture in there from a race or a ride and the weight grew some surface rust. 

Edited by subxero

Gytr makes a few different weights already built Ito the fly well. I use the 8.8 on my 250 it's supposed to be the same as adding 11oz. It works great. I wouldn't try the add on weights go with Gytr .

I am coming off of a 2014 YZ450f, have had my '16 YZ250 for about a month. For me, I am still in the midst of a major adjustment period, mainly cornering and jumping. The 250 is a beast! I went with an 11oz. Steahly in the hope to mellow out the power and lesson stalling. Power has softened a bit but not significantly. Stalling is non-existent now.  

For me, what has really helped is retarding the timing a bit. Softened the hit, and moved the powerband up in the rpm range with no loss of overall HP output. The motor doesn't top out like it used to with the stock timing. Thinking of going lighter FWW or removing it altogether.

• Like 1

There is one flywheel replacement option. The GYTR 8.4 oz flywheel.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/926/41836/Yamaha-GYTR-Off-Road-Flywheel

There are numerous bolt on options (weights that get attached to the existing flywheel). Stealthy is probably the most popular

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/926/6068/Steahly-Heavy-Flywheel-Weight?v=11945

I have both the GYTR and the 13oz Stealthy. I slightly prefer the 13 oz Stealthy on my 2011 YZ250.

The GYTR is definitely nice, but the 13oz Stealthy is significantly smoother. I find it gives a more consistent ride and gives me more confidence on the jump face. But then I'm a 52 year old novice rider. If you like a bit more hit the GYTR is probably the way to go because it is a complete flywheel replacement, which might make it a little easier on the crank? Hard to say.

Anyway, definitely get a FWW. It really does make the bike easier to ride and takes nothing from the power.

Edited by rjpjnk
  • Like 1

FWIW, I just started riding more on my '01 YZ-250 and decided to get the 13 oz. Steahly .  For tight ST and goat trail kinds of situations, it's fine..BUT if I didn't do anything so tight, I'd actually say it's too heavy.  I could tell I lost some "snap" when hitting the throttle and things like wheelieing over bumps and water holes is way harder than it used to be.

• Like 1

FWIW, I just started riding more on my '01 YZ-250 and decided to get the 13 oz. Steahly .  For tight ST and goat trail kinds of situations, it's fine..BUT if I didn't do anything so tight, I'd actually say it's too heavy.  I could tell I lost some "snap" when hitting the throttle and things like wheelieing over bumps and water holes is way harder than it used to be.

This was my observation as well. That's why I ordered the GYTR for comparison.

I originally had the 13 oz (came on the bike) and felt it was a bit too heavy for mx, so I ordered the GYTR for comparison. With the 13 you will definitely lose some snap as said and it is harder to wheele over stuff. It is also harder to whiskey throttle or to end up with the front up too high on a jump. So you lose some and gain some.

The GYTR is definitly snappier, but I'm not sure I need the snap right now.

I'm gonna stick with the 13 for now and may move to the GYTR next year when I'm more used to this bike. Or if the EG porting I'm getting done smooths the hit to the point that the 13 becomes unnecessary.

• Like 1

Same as for any 4 stroke.  Change the flywheel or add a weight.

eg. TMV 13oz. Works great. Actually I have the 11oz and love it.   Only USD90 new.  http://r.ebay.com/fTdOCP

Edited by numroe

Offroad I prefer a big fww. No issues pulling the front wheel over any thing. Even in 5th gear. Clutch.

In higher gears under a hard load I prefer the GYTR.

Steahly used to offer a free cut down of any fww if it is to heavy. Check.

Gday fellas I'm thinking about buying a FWW for my yz250 2T but I don't know which on to get as I do single track riding and motorcross so what size do you recommend, I was looking a stealthy but is there any better ones out there?

Gday fellas I'm thinking about buying a FWW for my yz250 2T but I don't know which on to get as I do single track riding and motorcross so what size do you recommend, I was looking a stealthy but is there any better ones out there?

research, there is a ton of info on this topic. For a mix of single track and moto, a 9oz or possibly an 11oz would probably be best depending on what you want.