Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Question

I've got a situation going on. Since this is the general bike forum im going to use a dirtbike hypothetically. Suppose my bike has a factory radiator with 20 fins per inch and it gets broken. Then, when I go to buy a new radiator all that is available is a aftemarket radiator with 15 fins per inch.  (OEM is no longer available). Will this make a significant difference in the cooling capacity of the radiator? I've been researching quite a bit on this subject and have not come up with any good conclusions. Some material I read actually says less fins per inch create better air flow, and that more fins create a "bubble" of air in front of radiator at speed whereas other readings say that more fins cool better due to more surface area. I'm more inclined to believe more fins = more cooling. It appears that 15 fins per inch is pretty standard for radiators however. I know what you're thinking, just put the radiator on and see how it works. But on this hypothetical dirtbike it takes about 3 hours to install the radiator! then if it doesn't work, you guessed it, about three hours to remove.  So I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Radiators work by heat transfer. More fins and thinner tubes transmit more heat.

If a 20 fin/inch radiator is no longer available,only a 15 is, your choice is simple. Use the 15 or throw away the bike....

well, actually there is another choice. Only the tanks are damaged on my old radiator. The core is fine. One guy I've been talking to on another forum said he took the tanks off the aftermarket radiator and soldered them on his factory core. I've never done that before, but am tempted to try it. The bad thing is the aftermarket radiator I just purchased was $700!!! Then to chop it up and braze it to my old core makes my head hurt! Especially since I've never done that kind of work before. I asked the radiator shop about it and of course they are saying the aftermarket radiator will be fine blah blah blah. I get the strange feeling they don't give a crap about wether it works or not.