Sign in to follow this  

CRF100 Cam chain tension question

So I just recently picked up a new to me 2007 crf100.  I got the manual the other day and was reading up on how to adjust the cam chain tension as I feel like it is making a little bit of noise (could also be the valves, or a combination of the two)

My question is, can you over tighten the cam chain?  Im pretty sure the previous owner didn't do much maintenance on the bike so its likely never been checked/adjusted before.  So if I were to tighten it, is there a risk of over tightening it if it actually isn't loose??

Im going to check the valves as well, but it was mentioned to me to do the cam chain first.

Over-Tightening can cause a cam chain to wear your cam sprocket and chain tensioner faster I believe, although i'm told often that tight is good. It sounds to me that your cam chain is a little loose and you don't want a loose cam chain as it can throw your dirt bike out of time and the valves can hit the piston and bend a valve or even put a hole through the piston. The valves would only cause your dirt bike too run crappy but adjusting the valves would be a good idea while your down there.

Yes, you can over tighten the cam chain. If you follow the manual and let it idle, then carefully loosen the bolt and allow it to self adjust it will be fine.

That's a pretty easy going engine, it'll run okay with a loose cam chain. Mine was at full tension and still had some slack, never bothered to replace it because the stator bolts were so corroded that I would have stripped them if I tried.