Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak from tacho drive

So this is my first post on these forums after being an anonymous stalker for the last year or so. After reading thread after thread of great information it seems to me you guys are more than qualified to help me out with my small issue... I started stripping my xl600r in preparation for a nut and bolt restoration and after removing the tacho cable I noticed an oil leak from where it rather loosely connected to the head. Once rebuilt the plan is to use a small digital speedo with integrated tacho, so I will no longer be using the cable. My question is, is there anyway to properly blank the hole for the tacho drive? Failing that, maybe someone could shed a little light on how it's done on the xr's as I understand these don't have tacho. .?

Thanks in advance

Not sure what kind of sealing they used around that tacho thing in the head. Myself being DIY I'd just find a piece of wood (round plainly) and good wood..ash maybe or some other hard wood of a slightly larger size than the hole and drill the center a bit so the spindle bit fits into that hole then tap the shebang in there.. If you measured the size of the hole you could probably get an engineer to make up a metal cap along the same lines.,,Heck even hardish type rubber drilled centrally along the same lines as the wood should work ok. I think the XR600 head just doesn't come with that hole or if it does it's just blanked off..