Sign in to follow this  

Planning to buy this DRZ400SM

Hi everyone,

I currently ride a 500 GSE and put almost 10k miles on it in 1.5 years.

I want to buy a sumo, and I think will go on the DRZ400SM, mainly because of my €€€€€.

I'm a pretty short rider at 5'4" and 28-29", so I know I'll have to shave the seat and live on my left toes. Don't think it will be much an issue BTW.

Saturday I'll see this one: http://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/883945788.htm?ca=7_s

To sum up, it is:

2005 DRZ SM

19.000 miles

FCR 39 carbs

DRZE camshaft

Igashi full exhaust

CDI procom

DRZE base gasket
Brembo brake 
Renthal fatbar handlebar
KTM headlight
Acerbis handguards
Swingarm protection

16*39 instead of 16*44

oil change and oil filter every 1250 miles

Valve check at 16000 miles

Piston and piston ring at 16000 miles

The bike is listed for 2900€ (~3100$).

Do you think it could be a nice deal ?

Thanks guys :)

it worries me when people have been into the motor itself, just be sure it runs and idles good, no loud knocks ect .. on the height you may want some lowering links, you can get it where you want it ..

I'm 5'6 and can get the balls of both feet on the ground but the bike doesn't weight anything compared to a street bike so doesn't matter really easy to manage

Theres only 2 main reasons to get into a motor that have underlying factors

1. It needed to be fixed

2. It wasnt fast enough

I asked the guy a little bit about the engine changes. Both reasons are true with this bike.

He is a motorcycle mechanic and bought the bike bone stock in 2009. Carbs and other pieces were put in order to get more performances. Piston-work made because it started to drink too many oil for him. 

Now the engine doesn't consume any oil apparently.

I hear your short-guy blues. Since when should riding be a tall guy sport? No baskets involved I'm pretty sure. ;)

I'm 5'6 and a few hairs, with a 31" inseam. I have a seat that I shaved down to almost nothing in the middle just to get the balls of both feet down for technical parts and stoplights.  Can do it just barely. 

Have you taken the bike for a ride? Shaved seat and a 1" lowering might be able to make it rideable. 

• Like 1

I'll probably test ride it tomorrow and see how I can deal with this tall beast.

Is there someone else who can tell me if it can be a good dead ?

Thanks guys.

16,000 miles is when my rings froze in the piston. it's a very simple replacement, not difficult or involved. his price is high (for my local) but may be normal for yours. 

i wouldn't hesitate to buy a drz with 20, 30, 40, or 50,000 miles on it. mine currently has 42,000, and sounds exactly as it did with 7000. enjoy the ride. :)

• Like 2

That's a decent price for a SM around me , most are $3500-$4400 . I do usually walk away from any bike that someone else "freshened up" or whatever internal work done , they very seldom use good parts or do a complete job and it will be a short life motor. Some are done good though and if he's got a bunch of miles on it since and has receipts of what parts used may be a done alright. 

• Like 1

So this morning I went too see it. At first, I was impressed by how tall this little beast is. But once I managed to throw my right leg over, I could be on tippy toes on both feet! I wasn't expected it.

On annoying thing though, is to put or dismiss the sidestand, because of my short legs.

The owner asked me if I wanted to test it, so I took it for a quick trip. Compared to my GSE it's clearly a blast. I didn't go past 3rd gear because I was in town, but each time I opened slighly the throttle, it wanted wildly to go. Amazing.

The owner has 3 others bikes: YZ125 for the dirt, RS125 for the track and a Fazer for the commuting duty. I clearly could see how careful he is with is bike and his mechanical knowledge, so I was less disturbed about the engine mods or fix. Plus he has full history of the bike, invoices etc.

I managed to decrease the price to 2700€, I don't think asking less would have been respectful.

This DRZ will join my GSE in my garage next saturday.

Thanks everybody for your answers :)

• Like 4

Sounds like a good one , they're nice play bikes . I'm used to big bore singles, some built up pretty wild, and gobs of lowend grunt so the revving needed for the 400 is different . I had to lower mine as well because it simply got annoying constantly tippy toeing at every stopsign/stoplight , needing to plan every stop so it tips toward the sidestand , plus as you saw dealing with the sidestand activation while on your toes(try wearing an actual mx boot and do that). Offroad ,especially offcamber , got dangerous because you simply couldn't put your foot down to control sliding out and such , that's where I just lowered it and have been happy since.

Edited by jjktmrider

I ordered today the low gel seat on Ebay US. It's like there is NONE remaining in Europe! Hopefully the seat will be enough for my legs.

Oh and ice on the cake, the owner did the loctite fix when he bought the DR  :D

So this morning I went too see it. At first, I was impressed by how tall this little beast is. But once I managed to throw my right leg over, I could be on tippy toes on both feet! I wasn't expected it.

On annoying thing though, is to put or dismiss the sidestand, because of my short legs.

The owner asked me if I wanted to test it, so I took it for a quick trip. Compared to my GSE it's clearly a blast. I didn't go past 3rd gear because I was in town, but each time I opened slighly the throttle, it wanted wildly to go. Amazing.

The owner has 3 others bikes: YZ125 for the dirt, RS125 for the track and a Fazer for the commuting duty. I clearly could see how careful he is with is bike and his mechanical knowledge, so I was less disturbed about the engine mods or fix. Plus he has full history of the bike, invoices etc.

I managed to decrease the price to 2700€, I don't think asking less would have been respectful.

This DRZ will join my GSE in my garage next saturday.

Thanks everybody for your answers :)

congrats. the gs500e is a great bike, very forgiving and lasts forever. I bought one, road it for 30,000 miles, and sold it for the same price I paid.

the drz had known failure points, just like the GS does. see the FAQ section and loctite fixes. EVERY drz needs the loctite fixes.

are you on gstwins ? they are a great resource.

idk if that's a true statment in all cases. I've met people who are sub 5'6" and weigh more than me and I'm 5'11 and 200lbs.

lol must have been built like a pillow haha
  • Like 2