Who Has Tiger Blood?

I recently noticed the reason why our CRF230 isn't called an XR anylonger. If one were to notice the XR series from 1982 to 2004 ....one will notice the frames do not resemble the CR steel frames. How I see it, Honda put their latest technology in their aluminum frames... I refer to as the "Giraffe Bikes". As my eye see a giraffe with a saddle over its back, when viewing the aluminum bikes.

I also noticed our crf230 Handels light years better than any XR ever made. I feel it's Do To It having the CR's frame.

This being my concept after long hours of studing my 1996 cr250's frame. I'm about to chop my 230's frame. I will be getting a sub frame, made of aluminum. Do any you have enough TIGER BLOOD to do the same?

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 2

I recently noticed the reason why our CRF230 isn't called an XR anylonger. If one were to notice the XR series from 1982 to 2004 ....one will notice the frames do not resemble the CR steel frames. How I see it, Honda put their latest technology in their aluminum frames... I refer to as the "Giraffe Bikes". As my eye see a giraffe with a saddle over its back, when viewing the aluminum bikes.

I also noticed our crf230 Handels light years better than any XR ever made. I feel it's Do To It having the CR's frame.

This being my concept after long hours of studing my 1996 cr250's frame. I'm about to chop my 230's frame. I will be getting a sub frame, made of aluminum. Do any you have enough TIGER BLOOD to do the same?

You do have tiger blood,if you think stock CRF230 handles better then XR250/400. For me its the worst,suspension Honda .Has used Even 1972 Xl250 has better susp.That does affect handling I think.

• Like 1

I used my (new to me) 1995 XR250r duel sport a lot off road during the whole month of October.

Completely stock except duel sport tires and Baja Designs kit and a plate. (Even the handle bars are original)

It went way faster than a stock 230f ever dreamed of...

(Two teeth larger on the counter than stock) handled way better than a stock 230f also. (Except for the tires did not work as well as normal knobbies in the dirt)

No stock 230f could ever travel the speeds I was going on the XR. The stock suspension on the XR is far superior than stock 230f suspension even for a bike that's already 20 years old!

Of course the forks and rear shock has been maintained with new fluid and nitrogen occasionally.

So I also disagree with the above statement.

And I use "Sunoco' for my blood.

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

You do have tiger blood,if you think stock CRF230 handles better then XR250/400. For me its the worst,suspension Honda .Has used Even 1972 Xl250 has better susp.That does affect handling I think.

If you're above 40 years of age I'm sure XR's are adequate. But if you're not, and you'd like to push a little harder like the guy in this video at 5:23 minutes, don't try it on the Turbo Lagging XR 250R. Don't get me wrong, I love the Late model XR250R but it's a slop bucket compared to the CRF230 once one has fix his/her suspension.

I too have access to an 2003 XR250R. I have raced my 230 up against it countless time. My uncorked stock crf230 out dragged it from first gear to fifth gear...Not what XR guys want to here, but true!  Whats even worst, is the fact Honda lied about the 1998 thru 2004 XR's weight. The XR250R weighs 25lbs more than the CRF230 dry! I'd hate to mention how much more it weighs wet. If you have both bikes, and you think I lie...check it for yourself. 

There's a reason you don't see any late model XR250R's at MX track...here in America or in Brazil or any place on the planet. It was good for its time...but today It's a difficult bike to toss in the air or on the ground compared to a CRF230...also it has turbo lag...yes it has a sudden spike in its power band. Like a 1982 Dotsun 280z car's turbo lag. Time moves on, so do we, if we're welling not to stay stuck in the pass!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd4mKstJvV4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wReyVs-JtyA

A late model XR250R could NEVER answer a CRF250R the way this crf230 is doing!

If we are talking stock or with mods.I have all three 230 with mods and Xr300/440.Stock the 230 For where we ride Could never go like a Xr. the susp is dangerous on the 230.Because of that.It could never keep up with most any Xr.If your talking,with a million mods Like my 230,then Its a great bike.

• Like 1

If we are talking stock or with mods.I have all three 230 with mods and Xr300/440.Stock the 230 For where we ride Could never go like a Xr. the susp is dangerous on the 230.Because of that.It could never keep up with most any Xr.If your talking,with a million mods Like my 230,then Its a great bike.

Did Honda lie about the XR250R's weight?  Is it 25#'s heavier then the CRF230?

So stock compared to stock the XR wins.  How about if you compare fully modded to fully modded?  Then how about with same money spent on mods for each bike components?

Obviously comparing a modded out bike to a worn stocker possibly lacking maintenance is a worthless comparison.

Inquiring minds want to know.

So stock compared to stock the XR wins.  How about if you compare fully modded to fully modded?  Then how about with same money spent on mods for each bike components?

Obviously comparing a modded out bike to a worn stocker possibly lacking maintenance is a worthless comparison.

at the time both bikes were equal...my 2005 crf230 was only uncorked, and a hlebo shock mod. The XR250 was about a year and a half older. But well kept!!!! 

Stock to Stock, the xr murders the crf230. With a shock modification things start to change quick. CRF230 Fork modification, you can forget about it. The old xr is just that... OLD!

I'm telling you guys the xr was the best offered for its time. when honda gave us the little crf230 they knew they had improved it. that's why they called it a CR, and not an XR. they just made some modifications and placed the a XR200 engine in a modified CR's Frame. 

they gave it cheep shocks and forks so buyers would buy their more expensive line of bikes. it worked on 99% of the sheepeople out there.

Edited by The Plvis

at the time both bike were equal...my 2005 crf230 was only uncorked, and a hlebo shock mod. The XR250 was about a year and a half older. But well kept!!!! 

Stock to Stock, the xr murders the crf230. With a shock modification things start to change quick. CRF230 Fork modification, you can forget about it. The old xr is just that... OLD!

I'm telling you guys the xr was the best offered for its time. when honda gave us the little crf230 they knew they had improved it. that's why they called it a CR, and not an XR. they just made some modifications and placed the a XR200 engine in a modified CR's Frame. 

they gave it cheep shocks and forks so buyers would buy their more expensive line of bikes. it worked on 99% of the sheepeople out there.

Take that money you spent on the suspension on the CRF then have the XR's shock revalved and swap some XR400 forks on it to keep the playing field even dollar wise... 

• Like 1

it moves like a jake brake!

Btw why did you decide to become a newb instead of staying "The goat"???  :excuseme:

I own a XR250-300 and a BBR framed CRF230-250. Hard to compare one over the other. Both fun bikes.

• Like 2

XR250,CRF230 both too heavy.

Hell, I am to heavy also.

I adapt and overcome with more power.

Lol

• Like 2

I will chime in on this in the context of CRF230 versus stock late-model XR250.  We have been working with two of each over the past six years working hard to make them the best they can be at a reasonable price.

A stock CRF230 is a miserable piece of hardware.  It starts out bad and just gets worse when you uncork and jet it because it becomes downright dangerous.  Almost every single suspension-related piece on the bike, including the crappy tires, is dangerous.

A stock late-model XR250 is a far superior bike compared to a stock CRF230.  They are not even in the same class.  Period.

Spend $500 for Bruce Triplett damper rods with cut fork springs and a Hagon shock and now we have something.  Add a set of good tires and you now have a safe bike on par with a late-model XR250 if the CRF230 is uncorked and jetted properly.  The CRF230 engine is better down low and the XR250 engine is better up high.  There is just a 2 HP* difference but the XR250 weighs more so the power-to-weight ratios are very close.  The CRF230 has a lower CG so it is better for slow short tight stuff but the XR250 is better for fast long open stuff.  At this point the two bikes are on par depending upon riding context.

That being said the CRF230 CR is 1 full point lower than the XR250 and its cam is -10/-15 smaller than the XR250 cam.  If you get the CRF230 close to the XR250 by way of a cam and piston the CRF230 engine delivers much broader wider torque than the XR250 engine.  This results in less shifting and more flexibility.  There is just no comparison between my mildly-built CRF230 engine and an uncorked and jetted XR250 engine.  The XR250 engine is peaky and the CRF230 engine is like a diesel tractor.  They are very different.  An XR250 will not come out of turns fast unless you go in hot.  A CRF230 will torque its way out of a turn just off idle.

I ride slow short tight stuff 80% of the time so the CRF230 is for me.  If I rode fast long open stuff 80% of the time the XR250 would be for me.

Unless you have truly ridden both back-to-back in all different contexts as we have you have no idea.

* I have spoken personally to both Frank Nye and Mike Coe and about this 2 HP difference.  This is a difference of peak HP only.  According to both Frank and Mike the CRF230 has more area under the TQ curve than the XR250.  This is why, though mild, the CRF230 engine works so well.  Too often we get hung up on peak dyno numbers and this doesn't tell the whole story.  I'm sure Terry can add a lot to this comment.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

A few more comments...

For the record I am not an XR250 hater.  I love them but they are just not my cup of tea.

We had a 1997 XR250 with a piston, FMF exhaust, and 32mm XRs Only flat slide carb.  It made more power from mid to top but the bottom was miserable.  We went back to the stock carb and it worked better for our needs.  The FMF system was awful.  It was loud and obnoxious so it went too in favor of a stock system.

My buddy and I worked very hard to make that XR250 work for him in the slow short tight stuff and in the end we gave up because my CRF230 was just leaving him way behind.  He got a used 2004 CRF230 for $1,500 and I applied all the modifications to his I had already tested and used on mine.  The bikes are identical right down to the bars and tires except he runs 2 more teeth at the rear and he uses a Hagon instead of a Fox.  He loves the CRF230 and can now easily keep up with me without being spent at the end of the day.

Since that time I have added a cam and piston and EO Outlaw exhaust.  His answer to all that?  A Terry Miller stroker!

He says the exact same thing I do.  For slow short tight stuff the CRF230 is better but for fast long open stuff the XR250 is better.

My best friend has a 2003 XR250 with full Bruce Triplett suspension and 4 extra teeth at the rear.  Now that thing rocks!  That crazy gearing allows the engine to stay where it needs to be and Bruce's insane suspension including "Terrain Tamer" forks allows you to do things you would never dream of on any other bike.  It is still not my cup of tea but as far as awesomeness goes it is at the top of my list.  His bike is nothing like a stock XR250.

Edited by VortecCPI

Hell, I am to heavy also.

I adapt and overcome with more power.

Lol

This is why you give yours serous HPs,to level playing field. We have always had this problem,riding with Stevethe.He does everything like you do to biuld motor.Then the 150 pounds,and knows how to ride.Its hard to keep up with that combo.I have witnessed him,passing two KTM300s,up hill climb.His trick is,he always.Has printed on seat XR100.

• Like 1

Btw why did you decide to become a newb instead of staying "The goat"???  :excuseme:

if i did it, this is how i would of done it lol.