Atlas Vs Leatt

After riding fore a few years now, ive decided that its time to get a neck brace. Better safe than sorry. At the moment i am primarily looking at these two braces, Atlas carbon and Leatt GPX 5.5.  Anyone have personal experience with these two, and do you feel that one is any better than the other. From what i can find they are about the same price, around $500. I know, prices are stupid high in Canada compared to the states. At first i was dead set on one of the Atlas braces; but the more i looked into this leatt brace the more i wasn't sure what to do. Any opinions or advise on these braces would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't know about the Leatt but I can say the Atlas is the bomb. You don't even feel it when it's on.  I picked up last years carbon for $330Au

Yep, I have last years Atlas, not the carbon, but the fit, I believe, is identical.  Virtually weightless.  My middle son has a Leatt, it is much bulkier, and my youngest has an A Star, it is cumbersome.  The nice thing about the Atlas is the points it sits on, your pecs and either side of your spine.

Even though the Atlas is less bulky, I'm pretty sure it saved my bacon 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I wrecked very hard on a trail in either 4th or 5th gear, my helmet visor had a bunch of dirt stuck to it so I know my head was involved.

I have the Leatt, my son an Atlas......Well now I have an Atlas in the mail. They are so much less bulky and they sit lower, so better helmet movement for looking around.

What made me spring for a new one was; at my last race, it was terribly muddy, so I wore my CP under my jersey and couldn't get the Leatt on. Rode the race w/o it. My son doesn't have this problem with his Atlas. Make sure you measure your chest before ordering.

• Like 1

I have the Leatt, my son an Atlas......Well now I have an Atlas in the mail. They are so much less bulky and they sit lower, so better helmet movement for looking around.

What made me spring for a new one was; at my last race, it was terribly muddy, so I wore my CP under my jersey and couldn't get the Leatt on. Rode the race w/o it. My son doesn't have this problem with his Atlas. Make sure you measure your chest before ordering.

If you are between sizes go with the next size up.  I had that dilemma when I bought mine, but BTO was nice enough to let me buy both sizes, then I sent back the one I didn't keep free of charge.  You can always work out more to increase your pec muscles to make the larger one fit perfect, that what's I did. ??

Doesn't more neck movement increase your chances of getting hurt because the neck brace is allowing your neck to be tweaked farther then a neck brace that allows less movement?  I would love to get the atlas brace because I get all their stuff at a discounted price, but I don't want a brace that doesn't work as well as others.

Doesn't more neck movement increase your chances of getting hurt because the neck brace is allowing your neck to be tweaked farther then a neck brace that allows less movement?  I would love to get the atlas brace because I get all their stuff at a discounted price, but I don't want a brace that doesn't work as well as others.

That is one thing i was concerned about. The leatt does look like it would give more support compared to the atlas. Also it is when your neck gets pushed to an extreme that damage occurs. So the atlas may have less support, but still protects your neck from getting to those extremes. I dont really know though

Ah, the "what does this thing do?" question......The idea of a neck brace is to reduce compression of the neck. So, for example, if you tank a jump and land on top of your head, your neck doesn't get shoved down, into your spine (compressed). The Atlas does this just fine. The brace also keeps your head from rotating to far back.....as far as forward movement goes, IMO you are better off having full forward movement so you can "tuck your chin" if an OTB occurs. The Atlas does limit some of this movement, but not nearly as much as the Leatt. Both braces seem to help your chin from turning left/right as you are looking down (chin towards the clavicle)...neither really lets you move your head that way....BUT the Atlas doesn't limit this range of movement with your chin UP, where the Leatt does, which in turn, limits your ability to look around.

You can't really go wrong with either. I like the Atlas because I can wear it, no matter my gear configuration, the Leatt I can not. I also prefer the Atlas for being able to look around, where my Leatt limits this to much (IMO). BTW my Leatt in the older GPX 4.5, it is a bit bulkier than the 5.5.

• Like 1

An additional note: When I put my son's Atlas on, it does limit head movement in all directions, just not as much as my Leatt. Don't get me wrong, my Leatt is a friggin nice brace, it is just so Motocross orientated that it doesn't work for us "woods" riders as well. But, I regress, a crash is a crash, as long as your gear protects you the way that it is supposed to......just like comparing helmets....the one that doesn't work, is the one that you don't wear!

I like the Atlas because I can wear it, no matter my gear configuration, the Leatt I can not.

What do you mean "no matter my gear configuration"? What is different between the two that allows the atlas to work better in more situations?

This is also one of the things i am looking into determining which brace to get, which one will work best with my gear. Its hard to know from an online store whats going to fit best.

As to my initial decision, i am leaning more towards getting an atlas brace. Has anyone had experience with both the carbon and the original? Or does anyone know the main differences between the two. Other than the price (carbon $500, original $300) i cant see  many differences between the two. Is the carbon that much better than the original? I see that the carbon is alot lighter than the original, is this the main difference or is there more that im not seeing?

What do you mean "no matter my gear configuration"? What is different between the two that allows the atlas to work better in more situations?

This is also one of the things i am looking into determining which brace to get, which one will work best with my gear. Its hard to know from an online store whats going to fit best.

I can't wear my chest protector under my jersey with the Leatt. It's an OK brace, I simply like the way the Atlas fits and it sitting a little lower is nice.

I can't wear my chest protector under my jersey with the Leatt. It's an OK brace, I simply like the way the Atlas fits and it sitting a little lower is nice.

Thats another thing i wanted out of the brace. To still be able to wear my chest protector under my jersey. You say you can do this fine with the atlas? What chest protector are you using? 

For those else that use an atlas brace, do you use it with an under jersey chest protector? If so what one? Do the back pads of the brace still rest against your body like they should, or do they have to rest against the chest protector? From the design of the atlas, with the spreader back pads instead of a singular spinal pad like some leatts, i would imagine that they couldn't rest against your body very well as that is where the chest protector shoulder straps would be? 

Thanks

Thats another thing i wanted out of the brace. To still be able to wear my chest protector under my jersey. You say you can do this fine with the atlas? What chest protector are you using? 

For those else that use an atlas brace, do you use it with an under jersey chest protector? If so what one? Do the back pads of the brace still rest against your body like they should, or do they have to rest against the chest protector? From the design of the atlas, with the spreader back pads instead of a singular spinal pad like some leatts, i would imagine that they couldn't rest against your body very well as that is where the chest protector shoulder straps would be? 

Thanks

My son wears a Leatt, I wear a TLD.....They both work over/under. I choose depending on weather (or mud). They both have the removable panels front and back for using neck braces. The TLD is way more adaptable than my son's Leatt, even comes with a bag if rivnut things for changing the configuration of the protector. It's nice, but pricey, I "stole" mine, probably would have bought it for the $200 they retail for.